Diversity and Inclusion
The diversity and inclusion team is helping to create a culture that is inclusive at all levels, in every system and process. Here, you will find a confidential source of advice and support to individual staff members on equality, diversity and inclusion issues as well providing the appropriate equality, diversity and inclusion training for staff.
Queen's is committed to equality, and to promoting and celebrating equality and diversity in the workplace and on campus generally.
The University's staff networks have been established to connect staff and celebrate the diversity of our community.
Our objectives are aligned with the Corporate Plan and our Staff Charter.
- To develop and support the implementation of policies and procedures that promote Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- To ensure the University is compliant with Northern Ireland equality legislation.
- To provide Equality, Diversity and Inclusion training for staff.
- To provide a confidential source of advice and support to individual staff members on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion issues.
For practical application of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policies, contact your HR Business Partner.
For confidential advice, please contact:
Tel: 028 9097 3039 or 028 9097 1046
Diversity and Inclusion Unit undertakes a wide range of data analysis and reporting. Some of this activity is driven by our statutory responsibilities to help shape our workplace policies, processes and equality/ diversity training for staff. Please click on the links below to access more information. Please note that some of these webpages are under development and may not be active yet.
- Article 55 Review
- Equality Scheme
- Equality Scheme Summary 2018-2023
- Gender Pay Gap Reporting (*awaiting NI Gender Pay Gap Reporting legislation*)
If you require any information in alternative formats, please contact Leeann Matchett or Heather Callighan.
- Equality Screening
The Equality Screening page has been produced for staff, to help them understand the importance of equality screening.
- Equal Pay Audit
Queen's is at the forefront of gender equality and a recognised leader in equality initiatives. We currently hold three Gold, six Silver seven Bronze Departmental Athena SWAN Awards and a Silver Institutional Award.
We support the principle of equal pay for work of equal value and recognise that we should operate a pay system that is free from bias and based on merit.
The University undertakes an equal pay audit of all contracted employees every three years and develops an action plan of recommendations to address any identified equal pay gaps.
- Fair Employment Returns/Workforce Statistics
The University voluntarily began monitoring its workforce in 1988 and under the Fair Employment Legislation has a statutory duty to monitor the religious composition of its workforce and applicants for employment. The University has been submitting annual returns on this data to the Equality Commission since 1990. The scope of the Fair Employment Monitoring Regulations includes leavers and promotees.
Please click on the links below to download statistics for full-time University staff:
- Gender Breakdown of full-time staff 2012-2022
- Community Background of full-time staff 2012-2022
- Community Background (excluding Non-Determined) of full-time staff 2012-2022
- Ethnicity of full-time staff 2012-2022
- Disability statistics for full-time staff 2012-2022
- Key Workforce Statistics as at 6th February 2022
Section 75 Annual Progress Report
The Equality Commission for Northern Ireland recommends that public authorities commit to conduct an annual review of progress on the implementation of their Equality Schemes.