Ulster Journal of Archaeology
About the Ulster Journal of Archaeology
The Ulster Journal of Archaeology, a peer-reviewed academic journal, is the longest established and foremost repository of excavation reports and other papers on archaeological research in Ulster. The Journal acts as a conduit to disseminate the results of these across the world. The Journal is one of the most highly-regarded sources of archaeological information on the island of Ireland and is internationally recognised as such. The Journal also publishes papers on history, material culture and folklore.
The First Series of the Ulster Journal of Archaeology was edited by RS MacAdam and ran from 1853 to 1861. A Second Series, from 1894 to 1911, was edited by FJ Bigger. In the 1930's E. Estyn Evans (lecturer in Geography at QUB), Oliver Davies (lecturer in Ancient History and Classical Archaeology at QUB) and five prominent members of the Belfast Naturalists Field Club (BNFC) and Belfast Natural History and Philosophical Society (BNHPS) re-founded the Ulster Journal of Archaeology as a Third Series. Volume 1 of the Third Series appeared in 1938 with Oliver Davis as Editor. Eighty years on, the current editor of the Ulster Journal of Archaeology is Cormac Bourke.
Volume 74 of the Ulster Journal of Archaeology
The most recent journal is a collection of papers in honour of the life and work of Dr Chris Lynn. Chris had a long career with government archaeology and has been part of the Ulster Archaeological Society for nearly 50 years. The papers in this volume are a tribute to the wide and varied career and research interests. If you woud like to purchase a copy of Volume 74 please contact the secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous volumes of UJA
Click here to access previous editions of the Journal via JSTOR.