Find a PhD Supervisor
Dr Aglaia De AngeliSchool Of History, Anthropology, Philosophy And Politics
Dr De Angeli’s research spans from social and law history of Republican China to historical photography in China.
As member team of the Sir Robert Hart Project she researches the figure and legacy of Sir Robert Hart on the Sino-Western encounter from 1850 to 1950. In particular, she works on Hart’s close collaborators, Piry and Wright.
Her research aims at evaluate the role and legacy of the Sino-Western encounter between 19th and 20th centuries on nowadays China’s leading role in the world.
Open to PhD applications in the field of
- Sino-Western encounter, especially China and Italy, France, Ireland or Russia
- Visual sources and historical photography in China
- Sir Robert Hart and Chinese Customs
- Law and society in modern China
Public outreach & key achievements
- Sir Robert Hart Project
- Sir Robert Hart & The Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs
- Dr De Angeli's work has led to a deeper understanding of the role of Sino-Western relations and especially
the interconnection between China and France, Italy on the field of diplomacy, law, and missionaries.
- It pioneers also the research on the relation between China and Ireland in the 20th century.