Human Rights and Equality Bodies
- the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission (NIHRC)
- the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland (ECNI)
- the Joint Committee of representatives of the Human Rights Commissions of Northern Ireland and Ireland (i.e. NIHRC and the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission).
Article 2 of the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland concerns the rights of individuals:
- The United Kingdom shall ensure that no diminution of rights, safeguards or equality of opportunity, as set out in that part of the 1998 Agreement entitled Rights, Safeguards and Equality of Opportunity results from its withdrawal from the Union, including in the area of protection against discrimination, as enshrined in the provisions of Union law listed in Annex 1 to this Protocol, and shall implement this paragraph through dedicated mechanisms.
- The United Kingdom shall continue to facilitate the related work of the institutions and bodies set up pursuant to the 1998 Agreement, including the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission, the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland and the Joint Committee of representatives of the Human Rights Commissions of Northern Ireland and Ireland, in upholding human rights and equality standards.
The work of the NIHRC and ECNI in relation to Article 2 is supported by a 'Dedicated Mechanism' and the establishment of new powers and duties through the EU (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020 amending the Northern Ireland Act 1998.
No 'matter of relevance' has yet been brought to the attention of the Specialised Committtee.