Prof. Karen Rafferty
Head of School
|Phone:||+44 (0)28 9097 4280|
Karen was appointed as a lecturer in the ISAC group in 2004.
Karen received a MEng (Distinction) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (1999) followed by a PhD in the field of image processing (2002), both from the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Queen's University Belfast. She also received a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Teaching (PGCHET) from Queen's University in 2005. Prior to this appointment, she worked as a teaching fellow within the ISAC group for a period of one year.
Karen's research interests include:
- stereosis for applications within virtual reality with particular emphasis on medical applications and distributed conferencing
- innovative teaching and assessment strategies for higher level engineering education
- computer vision with associated camera calibration, position estimation, feature extraction and tracking colour recognition and sensor fusion
- development of intelligent autonomous industrial and environmental inspection devices with particular emphasis on lighting effects
Karen is currently a co investigator on the following grants:
- Temporal Enhancement of Motor Performance Using Sensory Guides (TEMPUS-G) which is funded by the European Research Council.
- Haptic, Audio and Visual Interfaces for Maps and Location Based Services (Haptimap) which is funded by the EU Framework 7 program.
She was also the principle investigator of two grants awarded by the Royal Society and the EPSRC, as well as two teaching quality enhancement grants awarded by Queen’s University Belfast.
Professional Membership and Activities
- Evaluator for the Intra-European Fellowship Marie Curie Awards EU Framework 6 program 2006 and Framework 7 program in 2007 and 2008.
- Evaluator for the Incoming International Fellowship Marie Curie Awards EU Framework 6 program 2006 and Framework 7 program in 2007 and 2008.
- Evaluator for the Outgoing International Fellowship Marie Curie Awards EU Framework 6 program 2006 and Framework 7 program in 2007 and 2008.
- Expert Evaluator for the City University of China Grant Scheme 2007.
- Expert Evaluator for Enterprise Ireland Commercialisation Fund 2007.
- Board of Reviewers for the Irish Graduate Student Symposium on Vision, Graphics and Visualisation 2008.
- Program Committee member for the International Conference on Intelligent Computing 2006.
- Reviewer for the Transactions in Measurement and Control (2006 onwards).
- Reviewer for the International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education (2005 onwards).
- Member of Queen's University Belfast Academic Council
- Committee Member of IEE NI Senior Section Committee (2004 onwards).
- Committee Member of IEEE Control and Communication Chapter Ireland.
- Tutorial Chair for Irish Signals and Systems Conference 2004
- Expert evaluator for the Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology during the EMBARK Postgraduate Scholarship Program (2010)
- Reviewer for the IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering (2010 onwards)