The Wellcome-Wolfson Institute for Experimental Medicine welcomes applications for visiting research titles from researchers who wish to visit us to undertake a period of research.
Visiting Academics and Postdoctoral Researchers
Academics and Postdoctoral Researchers who wish to visit WWIEM should consult the information here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/AcademicStudentAffairs/AcademicAffairs/HonoraryTitles/VisitingTitles/
A Visiting Student Title will be conferred initially for a maximum period of one year and can be renewed on an annual basis, up to the end of the student's registration at their home institution.
The steps of the application process are as follows:
A potential student visitor expresses interest in a visit to the Wellcome-Wolfson Institute for Experimental Medicine (WWIEM) by contacting a potential supervisor. Academic profiles can be found at https://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/wwiem/OurPeople/AcademicStaff/.
- The student completes the Visiting Student Application Form and send it to Sarah Hurson at least two weeks before the start of the visiting studentship. International students may need to allow additional processing time for visa requirements.
- Relevant accompanying documentation should be provided as appropriate including a copy of proof of registration at their home institution, a copy of their passport/visa and an electronic photograph (portrait style).
- If the candidate is an international visitor, the nomination will be sent to Immigration Support Service (if the duration of the visit is six months or less) or International Staff Support (if the duration of the visit is more than six months) for immigration screening. This screening should be completed for both new and renewal applications.
- An additional consideration for students who are non-European Economic Area nationals, and who wish to apply for a Visiting Student title for any duration in certain subject areas, is the requirement to apply for clearance under the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS). This scheme is mainly for postgraduate students, with a few exceptions, and does not apply to subjects in the areas of Arts or Humanities. ATAS clearance must be obtained before application to immigration for visas.
- Once approval of a new Visiting Student nomination is granted:
- WWIEM issues an appointment letter and the Terms and Conditions for Holders of Honorary Status.
- The candidate returns a signed copy of the letter accepting the Visiting Student title on stated conditions.
- WWIEM adds the Visiting Student to the QUB Additional Persons database and, on confirmation of the visitor’s citizenship/visa status, provides an identification card to the holder upon collection.
- Where appropriate, WWIEM will send on the application form for immigration screening.
WWIEM updates the Visiting Student’s record on the QUB Additional Person database to reflect their new end date.
- WWIEM then issues a renewal confirmation letter
- WWIEM will invoice the Visiting Student for the appropriate bench fee, via Finance where appropriate.
Remuneration is not normally paid to those holding Visiting Titles.
Under the regulations of UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), visitors to the UK should not undertake paid work. They will need to satisfy UKVI that they have sufficient funds to support and accommodate themselves without working or recourse to public funds.
Please see https://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/AcademicStudentAffairs/AcademicAffairs/HonoraryTitles/VisitingTitles/ for additional information on Visiting Titles.