Ionic Rare Earth take over Seren Technologies and join QUILL IAB
Seren Technologies, a start-up company co-founded by Prof. Peter Nockemann, developing leading-edge rare earth separation technology using ionic liquids, has been acquired by Ionic Rare Earths (IonicRE), as announced on 8 December 2021.
Managing Director of the Australia-based IonicRE, Tim Harrison, visited both SerenTech and QUILL Research Centre in January, to discuss recent technical advances with the team and discuss strategies for commercialisation over the next 18 months. We are extremely pleased to welcome Ionic Rare Earths (IonicRE) as the newest member to QUILL IAB.
Ionic will integrate SerenTech into Ionic with initial activities focusing on the following key activities over the next 12 months:
1. Consolidating R&D activities in Belfast, in close collaboration with Queens University Ionic Liquid Laboratories (QUILL);
2. Progressing test work and flowsheet development evaluation and modelling for Ionic’s standalone REE separation and refinery;
3. Installation of a pilot plant for demonstration of the full magnet recycling pilot plant to validate process improvements identified in collaboration with Ionic;
4. Planning for the development of a standalone facility in Belfast suitable to house hydrometallurgical laboratories and a purpose-built magnet recycling demonstration plant to process 30 tonnes per annum of spent magnets and swarf to produce 10 tonnes per annum of refined and separated magnet rare earths oxides (REOs) (Nd, Pr, Dy and Tb) with purity exceeding 99.9%; and
5. Progressing commercial relationships on sourcing and recycling spent magnets and swarf.
For further information please visit: https://ionicre.com.au/