Career As A Nurse
What is a nurse?
Nursing is more than just a job. It is a dynamic, ever-changing career that has people-focused delivery of care at its heart. A nurse needs to have excellent technical and practical skills and be able to tailor his/her nursing care to suit each patient’s needs. They make critical decisions, often under pressure. Nurses must constantly adapt to the changing needs of the population by developing new skills as methods of care delivery change and by taking on increasing responsibility for patient care.
So if you are looking for a career that not only offers stability and excellent progression opportunities, but also provides you with constant challenges, you have come to the right place.
Why Choose Nursing?
- You will directly influence the health and wellbeing of others
- You will be working alongside other health professionals, nursing is a team effort
- You will be constantly learning new skills
- You will be faced with new challenges daily, no two days are the same
- You will have a huge range of career opportunities available to you, from specialisms to research, teaching, management and leadership
- You will have solid career prospects; over 95% of our graduates go into employment within 6 months of graduation.
Where do Nurses work?
Nurses work in teams with other healthcare professionals. They can be found in every kind of health care setting, from caring for patients in their own home or a nursing home to working in a hospital intensive care unit, prison, GP’s surgery or even an army medical corps. Nurses are also closely involved in education – assisting with training the next generation – and many pursue a career in research.
Nurses are highly trained and skilled professionals who provide physical, psychological and emotional support for those in their care, together with their families and carers. Queen’s is the only University in Northern Ireland to offer all four fields of practice:
- Mental Health Nursing
- Learning Disability Nursing
- Children's Nursing
- Adult Nursing
Careers as a Nurse
Almost 100% of our nursing students go on to work as a nurse, in many different fields of practice. Opportunities exist in many different environments, and nurses go on to develop careers within specialisms, advancing to management roles, or specialist nurse practitioner roles.
Many nurses come back to University to undertake continuing education, which is key to progressing to specialist and management roles.