Find a PhD Supervisor
Dr James NelsonSchool of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
Dr Nelson’s research has focussed upon the interface of religion and education from policy to curriculum level. He is interested in exploring what it is possible to share between schools with different religious identities and in what can be achieved through dialogical approaches in religious education settings.
His research has included a project designed to identify the varieties of education about religion, beliefs and values on the island of Ireland, and responses to the plurality of beliefs among pupil populations.
Open to PhD applications in the field of
- Religion and education
- Pedagogy and religious education
- Inter-cultural and inter-religious dialogue in educational environments
Public outreach & key achievements
- Consultant to curriculum bodies in Northern Ireland (CCEA) and Republic of Ireland (NCCA)
- Engaged in cross-border collaborative research funded by SCOTENS
- Member of the Centre for Shared Education
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
- Centre for Shared Education
- The Senator George J. Mitchell Institute for Global Peace, Security and Justice