Paul is open to PhD applications in the following areas;
- Child welfare generally
- All aspects/areas related to risk, assessment, and decision-making in social work
- Evidence-based/informed practice
- Knowledge acquisition and utilisation in social work
- Children’s rights, with a particular focus on the participation rights of children in child welfare
- Social work education, training and practice learning
Public outreach & key achievements
1. Alfandari, R., Taylor, BJ, Enosh, G., Killick, C., McCafferty, P., Mullineux, J., Przeperski, J., Rölver, M, & Whittaker, J. (2022) Group decision-making theories for child and family social work, European Journal of Social Work, https://doi.org/10.1080/13691457.2021.2016651
2. McCafferty, P., Duffy, J. and Hayes, D. (2021) Permanency Decisions in Child Welfare: A Qualitative Study, The British Journal of Social Work, 51(6), 2134- 2154, https://doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcab095
3. McCafferty, P. (2021) Children’s Participation in Child Welfare Decision Making: Recognising Dichotomies, Conceptualising Critically Informed Solutions, Child Care in Practice, https://doi.org/10.1080/13575279.2021.1896990.
4. Lyttle, E., McCafferty, P., & Taylor, B. J. (2021). Experiences of Adoption Disruption: Parents’ Perspectives. Child Care in Practice, 1-20.
5. McCafferty, P., & McCutcheon, J. (2021). Parenting a child with autism: considering the stresses, supports and implications for social work practice. Child Care in Practice, 27(4), 389-405.
6. McCafferty P, & Taylor BJ. (2020) Barriers to knowledge acquisition and utilisation in child welfare decisions: A qualitative study, Journal of Social Work, https://doi.org/10.1177/1468017320978917
7. McCafferty, P. (2020) “Do I Read it? No”. Knowledge Utilisation in Child Welfare Decisions, Child Care in Practice, https://doi.org/10.1080/13575279.2020.1765149
8. McCafferty, P. and Taylor, BJ. (2020) Risk, Decision-making and Assessment in Child Welfare, Child Care in Practice, 26(2), 107-110.
9. McCafferty, P. (2018) Implementing Article 12 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child in child protection decision making. Child and Family Law Update, Law Society for Northern Ireland.
10. McCafferty, P. (2016) Implementing Article 12 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child in child protection decision making. A critical analysis of the challenges and opportunities for social work. Child Care in Practice, 23 (4), 327-341.
11. McCafferty, P. (2009) A small scale project to involve citizens in the direct teaching of social work students whilst on their practice learning opportunity in Northern Ireland. The Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work. 9(2): 32-45.
12. McCafferty, P. (2006) Developing a model for supervising students in groups. The Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work. 6(2): 24-42.
13. McCafferty, P. (2004) Group supervision for social work students on placement: An international comparison. The Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work, 5(3): 55-72.
Chapters in Books.
1. McCafferty, P. (2004) ‘The impact of practice and policy on practice learning in Northern Ireland in an international context, in practice learning,’ in Ixer, G. (ed) Practice learning perspectives on globalisation, citizenship and cultural change. Whiting and Birch, London
Karyn Eldon,Doctorate in Childhood Studies, Negotiating Identity- Dutch Children in Ireland, 2022
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
- Centre for Children's Rights