Find a PhD Supervisor
Dr Gary MitchellSchool of Nursing and Midwifery
Dr Mitchell's research mainly focuses on older people living with chronic conditions. Over the past few years he has also been involved in research projects which have examined safe-staffing in care homes, the use of digital audits in long-term care facilities and the effectiveness of non-pharmacological interventions in dementia care.
He is interested in qualitative research, particularly those with an ethnographic methodology. He has recently concluded an ethnographic project which focused on healthcare professional-patient communication about oral chemotherapy.
Open to PhD applications in the field of
- The care of older people
- Dementia care
- Palliative care
- Restrictive practice/restraint
Public outreach & key achievements
- Director of Age NI
- Editorial Board Member of Journal of Advanced Nursing, Nursing Standard & Nursing and Residential Care
- Dementia Friendly Community Champion of Alzheimer Society
- International Fellow for the England Practice Development Centre, Canterbury Christ Church University, England
- Named 2016 British Nurse of the Year by British Journal of Nursing
- Named 2015 Inspirational Nurse Leader by Nursing Times