Find a PhD Supervisor
Dr Karen GalwaySchool of Nursing and Midwifery
I carry out public mental health research that explores how best to improve everyone’s mental health, through effective and accessible support and services. I have recently focused on improving support for those who have been affected by suicide. I’ve also worked to improve psychological and psycho-social support in cancer care. I am interested in research that empowers people through the use of digital technologies and co-design.
Open to PhD/MSc applications in the field of
- Improving evidence on what works for promotion, prevention and service provision to support good mental health and wellbeing.
Public outreach & key achievements
- Invited Speaker at NI Assembly All Party Group on Suicide Prevention (2018) (No current link to agendas is available)
- Articles in The Conversation on mental health and abortion law, and on providing mental health support after sudden death/suicide(2018)
- Soapbox Science Presenter and Blogger (2017)
- Presentations at the Knowledge Exchange Seminar Series at NI Assembly, Series 4 (2015) and Series 5 (2016)
|PhD Title||How can learning from Serious Adverse Incident reviews contribute to reducing deaths by suicide of people in the care of Mental Health Services?|
|Year of Study||2017 - 2020|
|PhD Title||Arts-Based Interventions as a Vehicle for a Reduction in Suicide Risk among Men.|
|Year of Study||2018 - 2021|