For biomedical, bioengineering, biotechnology, marine or equivalent science graduates, I am interested in supervising projects related to any area of bone biomaterial development, bone tissue engineering and bone regenerative medicine. Some examples are, although not limited to just these areas:
- In vitro and in vivo responses to novel ceramic or polymer biomaterials for orthopaedic applications such as synthetic bone substitutes or fracture fixation devices.
- Identifying novel bioactives with osteogenic activity, e.g. derived from natural products or marine organisms
- Optimising design of scaffolds to support bone tissue growth e.g. composition, mechanical properties, pore architecture, tortuosity, surface modifications to support resorption
- Addressing the challenges of applying stem cell therapies to bone repair e.g. patient variability in bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cell populations
For nursing and other clinically focussed students, I am interested in supervising any projects related to orthopaedics and metabolic bone conditions e.g.
- Outcomes for patients undergoing orthopaedic procedures, e.g. outcomes of joint replacement surgery for different patient groups,
- Interventions to enhance quality of life for patients living with long term orthopaedic conditions such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis etc.
- Patient attitudes to novel therapies such as bioresorbable polymer fracture fixation devices or stem cell therapies
Public outreach & key achievements
- Best Paper 2016: Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
|PhD Title||Unravelling patient predictors of mesenchymal stem cell expansion in an orthopaedic setting|
|Year of Study||2017-Present|
|PhD Title||The Effect of Osteoporosis on Bone Cell Response to Strontium|
|Year of Study||2019-Present|
Alumni: Where are they now
|PhD Title||Biological evaluation of calcium phosphate bone cements for spinal repair|
|Year of Study||2008-2013|
|PhD Title||In vitro osteoclast resorption of calcium phosphate bone substitutes|
|Year of Study||2009 - 2015|
|PhD Title||Discovering bioactive compounds for bone growth: the osteogenicity of marine organism-derived extracts.|
|Year of Study||2014 - 2018|