Find a PhD Supervisor
Professor Mark TomlinsonSchool of Nursing and Midwifery
Professor Mark Tomlinson is Professor of Maternal and Child Health in School of Nursing & Midwifery. Professor Tomlinson is the co-Director of the Institute for Life Course Health Research in the Department of Global Health at Stellenbosch University in South Africa. His scholarly work has involved a diverse range of topics that have in common an interest in factors that contribute to compromised maternal health, to understanding infant and child development in contexts of high adversity, to understand the impact of maternal depression on infant and child health and development, and how to develop community based home visiting intervention programmes.
Open to PhD applications in the field of
- Child and adolescent development across the life course
- Maternal mental health
- Maternal and child health
Public outreach & key achievements
- Elected as a member of the Academy of Science in South Africa in 2017.
- Co-ordinating writers of the World Health Organization document – ‘Nurturing Care for Early Childhood Development: A Framework for Helping Children Survive and Thrive to Transform Health and Human Potential.
- Editorial Board of PLoS Medicine
- Consultant to World Health Organization
- Board member – Red Cross Radio Trust. RX Radio is a children's hospital radio station, by and for children.