Find a PhD Supervisor
Dr Dirk SchubotzSchool of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
Research has focused on children and young people’s experiences and attitudes in all areas of their lives, as well as their rights. The research has also focused on a broad range of issues around sexual health and sexuality as well as sexual and gender identity.
The objective of the research activity is to explore the lives of children and young people in greater detail and to make sure that their views are being taken into account when decisions are being made about them.
Open to PhD applications in the field of
- Most areas of children’s and young people’s lives
- Sexuality, gender and sexual health
- Policy making processes, especially community relations in Northern Ireland
Public outreach & key achievements
- Dr Schubotz is responsible for an annual attitudes survey of 16-year olds in NI – see link above.
- He is monitoring young people’s views and attitudes for a number of government departments who are using
our data to inform their policies. This includes the areas of education (shared education/CRED/relationship and
sexuality education); good relations, safety in the community, physical activity and health.
- His work has also contributed to a review on child-sexual exploitation.
- He has been involved in a study on sex workers which has informed policy at Westminster.
|PhD Title||The relationship between poverty and social exclusion and the Northern Ireland conflict|
|PhD Title||Experiences of transgender and gender-nonconforming prisoners in the UK and Ireland|
|PhD Title||The impact of social networking on young women’s identity formation|
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work