Open to PhD applications in the field of
- Epithelial biology and pathobiology – to understand and modify innate inflammatory responses of the epithelial using drug repurposing
- Bioinformatics and computer-learning - to model the complexity of gene interactions involved in chronic inflammation
- Biomarkers of diseases
Current Research Opportunities
Public outreach & key achievements
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4932930/ Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Jun 28; 113(26): E3725–E3734. Published online 2016 Jun 10. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1520289113 PNAS Plus - Immunology and Inflammation Connectivity mapping (ssCMap) to predict A20-inducing drugs and their antiinflammatory action in cystic fibrosis Beth Malcomson, Hollie Wilson, Eleonora Veglia, Gayathri Thillaiyampalam, Ruth Barsden, Shauna Donegan, Amal El Banna, Joseph S. Elborn, Madeleine Ennis, Catriona Kelly, Shu-Dong Zhang, and Bettina C. Schock
- Committee member of the British Association for Lung Research (BALR): https://www.balr.co.uk/ The community for all types of respiratory scientists, from basic to clinical providing a platform to exchange ideas, create collaborations, and further pulmonary research.
- Outreach: Work with NICHS to publicly engage with stakeholders, involved NICHS support groups in our student teaching. We successfully host students from the South Eastern Regional College https://www.serc.ac.uk/news/article/SERC-Science-Students-Scoop-Three-BT-Young-Scientist-Awards Regular outreach activities involve engagement with young people to wake their enthusiasm for research.
- Students are regularly successful in obtaining summer studentships https://www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/the-work-we-do/research/support-for-researchers/apply-for-funding/summer-studentships https://bloomfieldcollegiate.org.uk/achievements/nuffield-bursary-presentation/
Alumni: Where are they now
|PhD Title||The Effects of Surfactant on the Biophysical Properties of sputum, Inflammation and injury in Cystic Fibrosis|
|Current Position||Quality Management System lead specialist for Europe at Stryker|
|PhD Title||The role of Prevotella spp. in host-pathogen interactions in Cystic Fibrosis|
|Current Position||Postdoctoral Researcher at University of Cambridge / GSK|
- Wellcome-Wolfson Institute For Experimental Medicine