Queen’s University Belfast has a long history of international students studying medicine with us. Upon completion of their studies, some students choose to stay and practice in the UK or Ireland whilst others return to their home country to embark on their medical careers.
Please use the links below to find out more about returning home to your home courtry to study medicine.
Applicants are strongly advised to read and review this information closely before submitting their application.
International medical graduates (IMGs) whose medical qualifications are from a medical school outside of Australia or New Zealand and who are seeking registration to practise medicine in Australia must provide evidence of eligibility to undertake one of the following assessment pathways:
- Competent Authority pathway
- Standard pathway, or
- Specialist pathway
The assessment process assesses the knowledge and clinical skills of IMGs seeking to qualify for medical registration in Australia.
For more details information on the assessment pathways please visit The Medical Board of Australia
The Medical Council of Canada grants a qualification in medicine known as the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) to medical graduates who meet the following criteria:
- Are a graduate from:
- a medical school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools which includes a sponsor note indicating it is an acceptable medical school in Canada,
- Have successfully completed the MCCQE Part I (Pass), and
- Have successfully completed:
- at least 12 months of acceptable clinical postgraduate medical training as determined by the Executive Director, or
- at least 12 months of acceptable osteopathic post graduate clinical training in a program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (“ACGME”) as determined by the Executive Director, and
- Have the required medical credentials including verification of postgraduate training successfully source verified through MCC or, in exceptional circumstances, have provided evidence of the required medical credentials and postgraduate training that is acceptable to the Executive Director
For detailed information on returning to Canada to practice Medicine please visit the Medical Council of Canada.
- Are a graduate from:
Indian Citizens /Overseas Citizen of India who have obtained a primary medical qualification from any Medical Institution outside India have to qualify the prescribed Screening test for purposes of obtaining registration in India in addition to fulfilling other eligibility criteria stated in the regulations.
For more detailed information on this process please visit the National Medical Commission
Doctors seeking General registration with the Medical Council coming from third countries are required to pass or be exempt from the Pre-Registration Examination System, the “PRES”
For detailed information on practicing medicine in Ireland please visit the Medical Council website
In order to legally practice medicine in Malaysia, medical practitioners must be registered with the Malaysian Medical Council.
For detailed information on returning to Malaysia to practice Medicine please visit The Malaysia Medical Council website.
The award of the MB BCh BAO degree means that you are eligible to apply for provisional registration with the General Medical Council (GMC).
The process by which to obtain a license to practice medicine in the United States has a number of steps and involves multiple parties that educate, assess, and evaluate them along the way. Certification by ECFMG, which ACGME requires for IMGs who wish to enter ACGME-accredited U.S. GME programs, is only one step in the process. Although an IMG’s pathway to licensure differs slightly from that of a graduate of a U.S./Canadian medical school, there are many common points, including the licensing examinations they take and the process by which they obtain GME positions.
In order to obtain a license to practice medicine in the United States, an IMG typically must:
- Complete all requirements for, and obtain, a medical degree,
- Pass a licensing examination, currently the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE),
- Document medical education credentials,
- Be certified by ECFMG,
- Obtain a position in a U.S. GME program,
- Complete the required period of training in U.S. GME, as directed by the jurisdiction in which licensure is sought, and
- Fulfill any additional licensure requirements of the jurisdiction.
To practice medicine in the USA, please vist the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates for detailed information.
Please note information on this webpage is correct at time of publishing August 2021