New postdoc Induction
- Audience: Postdocs and research staff at Queen's
- Date and time: 27 January 2023 (13:30 - 16:30) - Inductions are organised approximately every 2 months and new dates will be added once the current planned session has taken place
- Length: 3 h
- Place: Research & Enterprise Seminar Room, First Floor, 63 University Road
- Organised by: PDC
Starting a new research position can be unsettling. Whatever you are new to Queen's, new to the UK or new to being a postdoc or research staff, this session should help you better understand your environment, your role and the support available to you. Because postdoc positions are fixed-term positions, we'll also discuss career planning and help you set goals to progress your career, whatever this means to you.
This session is mainly an information session but also includes interactive elements and networking.
- Helping you understand your environment: Queen's structure, the UK funding landscape, sector drivers supporting your professional development...
- Helping you understand your role and get good working habits
- Highlighting the support available to you from the PDC and other departments
- Providing tips on planning your career
- Setting a few personal goals to ensure this position will add value to your CV
- Answer your questions
- Enable networking between participants
Dr Alice Dubois
Alice is a former biomedical postdoc now the Manager of the Postdoctoral Development Centre. She established the PDC as a Faculty pilot in 2018 in the MHLS Faculty and has been running it since, providing personal support to postdocs, organising courses and events as well as influencing policy relevant to postdocs. Alice loves helping postdocs have a positive experience at Queen's and progress in their career!
Alice is particularly keen on improving research culture at Queen's, especially for postdocs, by redefining norms and behaviours, promoting proactive and compassionate attitudes and empowering people to take their career, wellbeing and future into their own hands.
The feedback provided here corresponds to the first session held since the launch of the PDC in October 2021 (in March 2022). It took place online.
Rating (out of 5): 5
Recommended by: 100%
Number of feedback provided: 7
Quote: "Very informative and really engaging. Both Alice and Erin seem very approachable." (Participant, 2022)