BScFood Quality, Safety and Nutrition
This degree programme is about gaining the knowledge and understanding of three key areas in relation to food production and consumption.
- Food Quality concerns the ‘fitness for purpose’ of our food in terms of appearance (eg colour and surface qualities, texture, flavour and odour) and how these can be improved.
- Food Safety considers the physical, microbiological and chemical aspects of our food, which may be harmful to human health, and how these can be minimised.
- Nutrition concerns the nutrient supply from foods necessary to support the human body in health and during ill health throughout all life stages.
These degrees emphasise the inter-relationship between these areas and their equal importance in food production.
- Entry requirements
- BBB including Biology and Chemistry + GCSE Mathematics grade C
- English language requirements
- An IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in each test component.
- Tuition fees
- £20,800 / ¥189,260
The subjects studied on this course are wide ranging and include; Food (Biochemistry, Chemistry, Commodities, Hygiene, Marketing, Microbiology, Policy, Processing, Product Development, Psychology, Quality And Safety), Fundamental and Clinical Nutrition, Human Physiology, Diet and Health, as well as Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
The modules are:
- Chemistry and Composition of Foods
- Fundamentals of Nutrition and Food Policy
- The World of Microorganisms
- Food Commodities, Processing and Hygiene
- Food Choice, Diet and Health
- Principles of Food Quality
- Food Quality, Safety and Nutrition students can complete an optional 16- week degree-related work placement
- Food Quality, Safety and Nutrition with Professional Studies students will complete a one-year, degree-related work placement.
- Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Clinical Nutrition
- Food Product Development
- Food Supply Chain Safety and Security
- Supply Chain Management
- Research Project (BSc students only)
Stage 4 (MSci students only)
- Research Project
- Food Science and Food Security
- 4 years (D990)
Prizes and Awards
All students undertake the Level 3 Award in Food Safety Supervision for Manufacturing as part of the module Food Commodities, Processing and Hygiene.
Yakult provides prizes for the best overall final year student and the best Honours project in final year. Safe Food also provides a prize for the best essay in the final year module ‘Food Supply Chain Safety and Security’.
Work placements on these programmes provide students with the opportunity to utilise the practical skills gained during the teaching of their degree and apply these in a work environment.
For many students this is the most important aspect of the degree, enabling them to experience the types of jobs which are available on graduation and through the preparation of CVs, interviews, etc, ensuring they are well prepared for the job market.
Our past students have gained work placement with organisations such as: Sainsbury’s, Marks & Spencer, Kerry Group, Kraft Foods, Moy Park, Tayto, Ulster Cancer Foundation, hospital trusts and many more.
The unique flexible design of these degrees enables transfer to the MSci Food Science and Food Security degree up until the end of Stage 2 (provided students meet the necessary requirements).