BScInternational Business with a Language
The International Business with a Language degree seeks to develop graduates with a global mind-set that have the necessary business and cultural skills to work in a global marketplace. All organisations are now operating in a competitive global arena, seeking to expand and develop their business beyond their national borders. Success in foreign markets requires knowledge of how to adapt to local cultures, languages and customers as well as an understanding of fundamental business theories and practices. Global leaders ultimately cultivate cultural intelligence by travelling to and working in different cultures, developing and applying both their business and language skills. The International Business with a Language degree at Queen’s Management School provides a platform for developing the required knowledge and skills to pursue a career in our globally connected business world. .
- Entry requirements
- BBB including the relevant language at grade B or equivalent) and GCSE Maths grade B or equivalent.
For the Mandarin and Portuguese options, evidence of linguistic ability may be considered in lieu of the language A-level.
For the French, German and Spanish options, a Beginners pathway is available to those who have linguistic ability and have not previously studied the language to A-level or AS-level standard.
- English language requirements
- An IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in each test component.
- Tuition fees
- £16,900 / ¥153,774
This four-year BSc Honours degree in International Business with a Language is delivered by Queen’s Management School (Major) and the School of Arts, English and Languages (Minor).
Currently five language options are offered:
- French (Intermediate and Advanced)
- German (Intermediate and Advanced)
- Mandarin Chinese (Beginners)
- Portuguese (Beginners)
- Spanish (Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced)
What is it all about?
The four years of the degree are outlined below.
Year 1 – Providing a Platform
- The first year covers the fundamentals of business in a global environment. Modules in Global Business Environment, Marketing, Economics, Accounting and Organisational Behaviour provide a platform for developing knowledge across a variety of international business functions.
- You will also develop your language skills with a focus on professional language skills, improving grammar and increasing your understanding of broader cultural issues.
- You can undertake summer internships and international study tours in your first year.
Year 2 – Specialisation and Preparation
- The second year provides you with the option to specialise in areas of interest. You can choose from Leadership & Change, Data & Statistics, Operations Management, HRM and Digital Enterprise, while also covering International Business and Cross Cultural Management.
- Your language abilities are further developed with a focus on developing skills necessary for working abroad, linguistically, professionally and personally.
Year 3 – International Placement – Developing Cultural Intelligence
- You will undertake a compulsory international work placement in a country which speaks your chosen language.
- The aim is for you to develop your professional, cultural and language skills while working in a dynamic international organisation.
Year 4 – Enhancing your Global Mind-set
- You will undertake compulsory modules in Global Strategy as well as Consultancy or Business Start-up.
- An applied focus is incorporated through company tours, live case studies with guest lecturers from industry and a variety of assessment and learning approaches. You will have tailored business language classes and continue to refine grammatical and oral skills.
- Business Management
- 4 years (N202)
International Placement – Where in the world On this program, you will have the unique opportunity to undertake a compulsory international work placement. This placement is undertaken in a country which predominantly speaks your chosen language. This is an integral part of the degree, providing students with the fluency and confidence to communicate and work effectively in an international business environment.
You will be required to work for a minimum of 9 months in a salaried position(s), and have an option to do this across multiple placements. You will work in a business related role which may span multiple industries, organisations and functions. Students have worked in a broad variety of business roles across Marketing, HRM, Supply Chain, Operations and Strategy functions.
Current and past placement companies include PwC in Madrid, KPMG in France, Learnlight in Barcelona, Ernst & Young (EY) in Luxembourg, L’Oreal in Paris and Architrave in Berlin.