Intercalated Masters Options
We offer exciting postgraduate opportunities as options for the intercalated degree pathway for medical and dental students at the end of the 3rd year.
The options within the School of Medicine, Dentistry & Biomedical Sciences are:
The options within the School of Psychology are:
MSc Applied Development Psychology
Course Co-ordinator: Dr Kostas Papageorgiou (firstname.lastname@example.org)QUB Course Finder
MSc Clinical Health Psychology
Course Co-ordinator: Prof Martin Dempster (email@example.com)
The programme specification will contain further details on programmes including the educational aims, learning outcomes and module information. Programme Specifications for 2022-23 are held on Academic Affairs webpages.
Please note that programme specifications, modules offered and module content are subject to change prior to the 2023-24 academic year and should be used as a guide only.
Intercalating medical and dental students within QUB will be considered if they have successfully completed the third year of their course at first attempt and achieved an overall profile which is 2.1 equivalent. Intercalating applicants should also ensure they have permission to intercalate from either the Director for Medical Education or Dentistry as appropriate.
An external medical or dental student wishing to intercalate must have successfully completed the 3rd/4th year of their course and passed all assessments in the year in which they are applying. External intercalating applicants should also ensure they have the permission of the Head of Undergraduate Medical/Dental Education or equivalent from their home University, which should be submitted to QUB Admissions Office.
- Application Process & Closing Date
- Students should apply via the Direct Application Portal (DAP) https://dap.qub.ac.uk/portal/user/u_login.php
- Following the submission of your application form via the Direct Application Portal you should also submit this short form.
- Medical Students should also submit a ‘permission form for a year out form’ no later than 27 January 2023. Medical students should contact Ms Joanna Scott, Student Support and Guidance Officer, Centre for Medical Education, Whitla Medical Building (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information if required and complete and complete and application form. Dental students should ensure that they have met with Dr Gerry McKenna (email@example.com) to discuss their plans for intercalating and complete the application form.
- Closing date for all remaining applications is Friday 31 March 2023. Late intercalated applications may be considered if spaces are still available. Intercalated students should email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire prior to submission of an application
- Tuition Fees
General Advice on funding arrangements for Intercalated Students - A Student Financial Advisor from the University will be speaking at the Intercalated Fair (date to be confirmed) and will be able to answer your questions on the financial implications for Undergraduate and Postgraduate when taking an Intercalated degrees.
Please also refer to the QUB Fees and Funding webpages for up-to-date tuition fees and guidance on student financial support.
- Available Scholarships
Kidney Research UK
Kidney Research UK offers grants of £5,000 to medical students undertaking research that is directly relevant to the kidney and kidney disease as part of an intercalated degree
This annual competition for Intercalated degrees for medical students aims to encourage and capture undergraduates with an interest in renal medicine at this early stage in their career development.
The £5,000 award is paid directly to the student, who can use this for living costs and fees, (award not allocable to research costs). The level of funding was agreed so as to be on a par with that offered by other funders providing intercalated year funding.
Further information will be posted on Kidney Research UK website when the call for applications opens. This will normally be in December of each year.
The Pathological Society
The Society funds up to ten medical, dental or veterinary undergraduates who wish to take an Intercalated Degree and are undergraduate members of the Society based in UK and/or Ireland. The grant will cover the cost of university fees of up to £9,000, £4,500 stipend & 1500 consumables. Further information on these grants, applications forms and closing dates can be found available on the Pathological Society webpages.
Additional Scholarships may become available during the year. Full details on these will be advertised on our intercalated webpages.
Please also refer to the QUB Fees and Funding webpages for other University Scholarships and guidance on student financial support.
- External Applicants
Applications from external applicants are welcome.
An external medical or dental student wishing to intercalate must have successfully completed the third or fourth year of their course and passed all assessments in the year in which they are applying. External intercalating applicants should also ensure they have the permission of the Head of Undergraduate Medical/Dental Education or equivalent from their home University, which should be submitted to QUB Admissions Office.
Intercalated Fair 2022 - Wednesday 23 November 2022
The Intercalated Degree Fair will be held on Wednesday 23 November 2022, in the Wellcome-Wolfson Institute For Experimental Medicine at 1.30pm.
The Fair will commence in the Basement Seminar Room with the following talks:
- Professor Neil Kennedy, Centre for Medical Education
- Connie Craig (Advice SU)
- Dr Richard Turkington, Clinical Academic Training)
- Short Presentations by programme coordinators
Students will then have an opportunity to visit individual programme stands to meet with programme teams.
Please complete this short registration form to confirm your attendance at the intercalated fair no later than Monday 21 November 2022.
The Intercalated Fair is delivered as part of the wider Clinical Academic Training programme in the School.