This PDC workshop will provide Assistant Supervisors and postdocs involved in supervision with the understanding and skills required to make the best out of their supervision opportunity by developing themselves and their students effectively.
- January 18, 2022
- 12:30 - 15:00
This workshop is for postdocs and research staff at Queen's, especially those involved in supervising research students, with priority to Assistant Supervisors (they will be given priority registration; the course can accommodate big numbers though and we hope to be able to provide a place to all).
Becoming a research supervisor for the first time can be a daunting experience. The research student expects you to know what you’re doing but you are learning the process yourself. The position of allows you to learn about the role in a supported environment. This workshop will prepare you for the role and enable you to have a positive experience and supervision relationship with your students. While the main focus will be on supervising PhD students in the context of being an Assistant Supervisor, the main principles discussed will also be applicable to the supervision of Master and Undergraduate students.
Topics covered include:
- Clarifying your role, expectations and dealing with role conflict
- Giving constructive feedback
- Managing meetings
- A coaching approach to supervision
- Helping the doctoral candidate plan their research
- Motivating the candidate
- How to deal with mental health issues
- What to do if things go wrong
And other topics raised by participants.
Participants will be provided access to a specific toolkit and slides.
This workshop aims at:
- providing knowledge, good ractice and tips to navigate the supervision relationship
- enabling you to feel more confident and prepared for your role
- promoting a positive experience for you, the research student and other supervisor
- help you understand what students want from a supervisor
- help you approach supervision in a professional and efficient manner
- give you the initial knowledge to build your supervision and managing skills from
- Add to calendar
|Name||Postdoctoral Development Centre|