Dr Karen Kerr
School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work (SSESW)
Dr Kerr’s recent research looks at children and young people’s connection to and knowledge of nature, views on environmental sustainability and their health and well-being, as outcomes of outdoor learning.
Dr Karen Kerr is a Lecturer in Education in the School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work at Queen’s University Belfast, to include co-ordination of the PGCE Science programme. She is a qualified science teacher, and taught in nursery, primary and secondary schools in Northern Ireland, England and Spain. Her research background is in science education, in particular, outdoor learning and professional development for teachers. Her recent research looks at children and young people’s connection to and knowledge of nature, views on environmental sustainability and their health and well-being, as outcomes of outdoor learning. Dr Kerr is also working with DAERA on the development of a nationwide Environmental Engagement Index. Karen is a founding member and secretary of the Irish Association for Primary Science Education (IAPSE).
Areas of Expertise
Outdoor learning; Learning Outside the Classroom; Environmental Education; Education for Sustainable Development; Teacher professional development
Radio and online.
We want to make a difference for nature, National Association for Environmental Education
Associated Research Centres / Projects
- School of Social Science, Education and Social Work (SSESW)
- 2019-present: Founding member and honorary secretary, Irish Association for Primary Science Education
- 2019-present: Expert panel member: developing a nationwide Environmental Engagement Index (EEI) for the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA)
- 2019-2020: Evaluation of the Grassroots Challenge Project for Ulster Wildlife
- 2016-2018: Open Air Laboratories. Funder: the Big Lottery Fund
- 2013-2016: Science Teaching for Transition in the Outdoor Classroom. Funder: Primary Science Teaching Trust
- 2015-18: Evaluation of the ParkLife (outdoor learning project) for Belfast City Council