COMMUNITY. OPPORTUNITY. INNOVATION.
At Queen’s, our people are at the centre of everything we do.
As a Queen’s employee, you’ll be part of a supportive, collaborative community that has ambitions to shape a better world through our teaching, research and influence.
QUEEN'S AT A GLANCE
TOP GLOBAL UNIVERSITY
200,000 ALUMNI ACROSS THE WORLD
AN EXTENSIVE NETWORK OF RESEARCH CENTRES AND INSTITUTES
ICONIC CAMPUS IN CENTRAL BELFAST
8TH IN THE UK FOR RESEARCH INTENSITY (REF 2014)
We’ve been innovating since 1845.
We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of UK research intensive universities.
We know our success is down to our outstanding staff who share our commitment to excellence and our student-centred ethos.
Our support for the personal, professional and career development of our researchers has led to us retaining the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award until 2020.
What you could be working on
We understand the importance of investing in people, so you’ll receive great benefits and rewards and access to cutting-edge resources and to a community of over 4,000 staff and 24,000 students.
The leafy Queen’s Quarter, just a short walk from Belfast city centre, is perfectly laid out to help you maximise work-life balance, with a cinema, art gallery, gym, swimming pool and wellbeing spaces right on your doorstep.
Get some headspace in Botanic Gardens in your lunch break, which is next door to Queen's main campus buildings or taste the flavours of the world on Botanic Avenue.
- Generous leave: 24 days annual leave plus 18 university closure days and Bank Holidays
- Excellent pension schemes: 21% employer contribution (USS scheme) for posts graded 6/AC1 and above and RBP scheme for grades 1-5
- Training: Range of staff development programmes, free courses and wider educational opportunities
- Salary sacrifice schemes including childcare+ and cycle to work
- Wellbeing activities and events to support your mental and physical health
- 1,500 staff discounts including at Queen’s Film Theatre, Queen’s Sport and Language courses
- Free membership to McClay Library
- Flexible working, activity-based working and career break scheme
- Staff Wellbeing societies and activities including choir, yoga and running.
- Inspire Counselling: A confidential service which provides practical information and emotional support
- Housing service: access to self-contained apartments and housing for international staff
- Career Development Hub: Bespoke careers coaching and advice
“My career has developed rapidly, and I have achieved a healthy work-life balance.” Professor Teresa McCormack
Head of School for Psychology
We are committed to providing a positive culture throughout the University that celebrates diversity and is welcoming and inclusive.
We are one of only 18 UK universities to hold Athena Swan Silver status, an accolade that recognises our commitment to progressing gender equality. At Queen’s, you will find a working culture that supports and celebrates remarkable women and provides an opportunity for women to aspire to leadership roles.
Thanks to a multimillion pound economic growth programme, there has never been a better time to live and work in Belfast.
At Queen’s, you’ll be working in a capital city with innovation at its heart; a mine of knowledge, investment and enterprise.
As one of Northern Ireland’s biggest employers, we enable our staff to achieve by embracing change, applying new technology and investing in the advancement of knowledge.
“I was initially encouraged to move to Queen’s because of the strong research that was already being carried out, as well as the state-of-the art lab facilities, which include virtual reality technology. Once at Queen’s, I was particularly impressed with the supportive environment for new lecturers, including mentorship from more senior academics.” Dr Ioana Latu
“I moved to Queen’s from Belgium to join the strong group of researchers specialising in my area and because of the state-of-the art facilities and labs. I very much enjoy living in Northern Ireland. People here are very friendly, the city provides a variety of activities and cultural events, and areas of supreme natural beauty are only a short drive away. I find living and working here very rewarding.” Dr Mihalis Doumas
“Queen’s is a fertile ground for research. The University’s investment, coupled with internal and external collaborations in my area have led to significant, high quality research outputs. As an academic, it is important to me that I can conduct excellent applied research in a supportive environment.” Dr Martin Dempster