COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COMPLAINANTS PRIVACY NOTICE
Queen’s University Belfast (“we”, “us” and “our”) is committed to protecting your personal data. The notice is addressed to a complainant’s, in relation to the investigation of off campus incidents (“complainant” “you” and “your”). This Privacy Notice tells you why we need to collect personal information about you, what we will do with it, and how we will look after it. It also tells you about your legal rights in relation to your Personal Data. If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please contact us.
WHO WE ARE
1. We are Queen’s University Belfast a Higher Education Institution. This notice is specifically for Queen’s Community Engagement and the actions and processes carried out in its duties with students, complainants and local public and commercial partners.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL DATA IS COLLECTED
2. Information you provide: When providing a response to your complaint we will ask for information about you, such as your name, address, email address, and telephone number(s) as well as a narrative of what your complaint is in relation to. This is known as your “Personal Data”. You may disclose information on how the incident impacted on you and this could include special categories of personal information (such as disability information and information relating to your health). If the complainant provides the University with sensitive special categories of information, this may impact on how the University corresponds with a complainant. This is known as your “Sensitive Personal Data”.
3. Data from other sources: We also collect information about you from other sources and this also forms part of your “Personal Data”. This includes information collected from:
- Local public authorities (Belfast City Council or other local councils, community support workers the Police PSNI, private landlords and local businesses.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
4. We use your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data in the following ways:
- Personal data provided by complainants will solely be used for the purpose of matters directly relating to the complainant’s complaint, to inform the complainant of the University investigation process and procedures, for correspondence for investigation and outcome of disciplinary matters. Any data acquired from other sources will again be solely for the purposes of managing the complaint and communications.
LEGAL BASIS FOR COLLECTING AND USING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
5. We will only use your Personal Data if we have valid reasons for doing so. These reasons are known as our “legal basis for processing”. The legal bases for processing your Personal Data are;
- We have contractual and legal obligations, in that we are required to uphold student contracts in respect of student conduct and behaviour and in the legitimate interests of the data controller, where by it is a requirement to ensure that University policy and local guidelines and regulations are adhered to.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
6. In line with our Data Protection Policy and Procedures we can share your information, including Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data, with the following parties for the purposes set out above:
- Police Service of Northern Ireland PSNI, Belfast City Council (BCC), Belfast Metropolitan College,. the University Colleges of Queen’s University Belfast.
DATA PROCESSING OUTSIDE EUROPE
7. We will not transfer your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area.
HOW LONG WILL YOUR INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT
8. We will keep your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data for up to 3 years from the date of the last action on case. We will only keep your information if we need it for one of the reasons described above. We place great importance on the security of the Personal Data that we hold, including the use of physical, technological and organisational measures to ensure your information is protected from unauthorised access and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, alteration, disclosure, destruction and damage.
9. The Data Protection Act 2018 provides you with a number of legal rights in relation to your Personal Data, including the right:
- to request access to your Personal Data;
- to request correction of your Personal Data that is wrong or incomplete;
- to request erasure or the restriction of processing of your Personal Data;
- to request the transfer of your Personal Data in a structured; commonly used machine-readable format;
- not to be subject to automated decision making; and
- to withdraw your consent.
10. If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, or require further information about any of the rights, please contact us.
11.There may also be times where we cannot stop using your Personal Data when you ask us to, but we will tell you about this if you make a request.
12. If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice, the University’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
Data Protection Officer
Queen’s University Belfast
13. You have the right to complain about how we treat your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner's Office
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
14. We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of the changes where we are required by law to do so.