Dr Connor Bamford
Research Fellow in virology and antiviral immunity at the Wellcome-Wolfson Institute for Experimental Medicine.
School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences (MDBS), Wellcome-Wolfson Institute for Experimental Medicine
His work is currently supported by a Wellcome Trust Institutional Strategic Support Fund (ISSF) Fellowship.
He is researching immunity to viruses and bacteria in the lung and the role that specific cytokines, known as 'interferons,' play, with the hope of identifying novel ways to block infections. Of note for combating COVID-19, Connor has significant experience in working with human pathogens.
Areas of Expertise
virus immunity, cytokines, interferons, human pathogens, coronavirus, corona virus, covid-19, virology, respiratory disease
- Coronavirus: When will the curve flatten?, 30 March 2020, Irish News
- Coronavirus: Areas of NI with low rate of infection must keep guard up, says QUB virologist Connor Bamford, 28 March 2020, Belfast Telegraph
- Coronavirus: Can you catch COVID-19 twice?, 6 March 2020, Euronews
- Coronavirus might be here to stay – and face masks won't necessarily stop the spread, 24 February 2020, The Independent
- Coronavirus and Northern Ireland: The facts about 'Public Enemy Number One', 12 February 2020, Belfast Telegraph
- Can wearing masks stop the spread of viruses?, 23 January 2020, BBC News