Professor Mark Lawler
ASSOCIATE PRO-VICE-CHANCELLOR AND PROFESSOR OF DIGITAL HEALTH, CHAIR IN TRANSLATIONAL CANCER GENOMICS
The Patrick G Johnston Centre for Cancer Research
Professor Lawler is an internationally renowned scientist with over 30 years experience in cancer research, who is passionate about translating his research for the benefit of patients and society.
He has received numerous awards including the prestigious 2018 European Health Award and he is frequently invited to speak at top-tier international conferences.
He was architect of the European Cancer Patient’s Bill of Rights, which he launched with patients and health professionals in the European Parliament on World Cancer Day 2014. The Bill of Rights, translated into 17 European languages and adopted in 25 European countries, is a beacon of hope for cancer patients Europe-wide, leading to development of the 70:35 Vision - 70% average survival for cancer patients by 2035. This Vision has been adopted by the European CanCer Organisation, the largest multidisciplinary cancer organisation in Europe, and is influencing health policy in many European countries.
His research in colorectal cancer (CRC) has increased our understanding of this common disease. His leadership of Bowel Cancer UK’s Critical Research Gaps in Colorectal Cancer Initiative will influence CRC research activity/policy over the next decade.
Professor Lawler is Associate Director of Health Data Research Wales-Northern Ireland and Scientific Director of DATA-CAN, the UK Health Data Research Hub for Cancer. His leadership in heath data research, with a particular emphasis on cancer has been world leading with key publications in the premier scientific and medical journals.
His recent work on Coronavirus and cancer, highlighting how the current COVID-19 pandemic may lead to a future cancer epidemic, has received international recognition, with over 300 media stories and publications in key international scientific journals
Professor Lawler is also a passionate advocate for the development of outreach activities, fostering increased public understanding of science and medicine.
FieldsCancer Precision medicine Health data
Areas of Expertise
Cancer, Genetics, Precision Medicine, Health Data, COVID-19 and cancer, Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement in Research.
Professor Lawler has extensive media experience and has worked with a range of national and international print, broadcast and online media.
- Coronavirus crisis risks missed cancer cases, Irish Independent, 03/05/2020
- Coronavirus crisis could lead to 18,000 more cancer deaths, experts warn, The Guardian, 29/04/2020
- HIDDEN THREAT Coronavirus crisis could trigger a cancer epidemic affecting millions, expert warns, The Sun, 21/04/2020
- Prof Mark Lawler: 'The criminal lack of action in cancer care across Europe leaves Irish patients at risk', Irish Independent, 29/11/2018
- As A Cancer Researcher, Brexit Makes Me Fearful For Our Future Health, Huffington Post, 23/11/2018
- Brexit may be 'catastrophic' on cancer research and trigger a staffing crisis as fears grow scientists from the EU may not be allowed to work in the UK, Mail Online, 09/10/2018
- New approach to tumor analysis could improve prognosis for bowel cancer patients, Medical.net, 17/12/2018
- Rosalind Franklin still doesn’t get the recognition she deserves for her DNA discovery, The Conversation, 24/04/2018
- Call to extend HPV vaccine to boys as cancer rates soar, The Guardian, 31/03/2018
- HPV vaccine cuts cancer-causing infection, BBC, 18/06/2018
- Queen’s boffins unveil plan to “end bowel cancer”, Belfast Live, 12/01/2018
- New approach to bowel cancer analysis could lead to better prognosis for patients, Medicalxpress, 18/12/2018
- Bowel cancer 'breakthrough' at Queen's University, BBC, 31/05/2017
- Big Data Saves Lives, Huffington Post, 30/05/2017
Associated Research Centres / Projects
Associate Director Health Data Research Wales-Northern Ireland, one of only six substantive sites of Health Data Research UK
Scientific Director of DATA-CAN, the UK Health Data Research Hub for Cancer
Health Lead: Global Innovation Institute, Belfast Region City Deal
Board Member European Cancer Organisation
Board Member European Alliance for Personalised Medicine
Member Scientific Advisory Board, European Cancer Patient Coalition