Skip to Content

Support and Wellbeing

12 people at Queen’s you can ask for help at any time

You’re a uni newbie. You might be away from home for the first time – it’s a big change. Here at Queen’s, there are loads of support services available to make that transition that little bit easier.


Residential Life Team

residential life

The Residential Life Team is based in the Queen’s Accommodation and is made up of residential life co-ordinators and also residential assistants. Their job is to provide support to you if you’re feeling a bit lonely or homesick. They’ll also organise loads of events and trips out to the likes of the Giant’s Causeway, Game of Thrones filming locations and Derry so you can see how beautiful Northern Ireland really is!

Student Bloggers

student bloggers

Us student bloggers – we have the inside out guide to Queen’s, Belfast and beyond so why not get in touch with us! Some of us, like myself, are also student ambassadors and campus tour guides. We were all in your shoes going to university for the first time so we know how you’re feeling!

University Health Centre

Health centre

One thing to do during Welcome Week is to register at the University Health Centre on Elmwood Manse. Once you’ve registered, any medical needs you have, physical or mental, you know where to go. It’s also important when you start uni to make sure you’re up to date on your vaccinations – especially the Meningitis ACWY – vital when you start your first year at uni.

Personal Tutors


Your academic School at uni will have a form of Personal Tutoring system in place. You’ll most likely have a personal tutor assigned to you who you should meet in the first few weeks of uni. They’ll be able to provide you with support on any academic issues, but are also well placed to signpost other support services that may help.




There are currently 12 faiths and denominations represented at Queen’s and on Elmwood Avenue (near the Student’s Union), there are four different chaplaincies – these have open door policies to those of all and no faiths if you want to have a chat to someone.

Chaplains and other religious representatives are appointed by the University to represent and serve students and staff. The chaplaincy centres provide a focus for weekday or Sabbath worship, a range of social events and activities, groups for prayer or study, in addition to pastoral care and counselling.

Peer Mentors



Peer Mentors are students from your subject in the years above you. This provides peer-to-peer support to students. They will have done similar modules to you and will be able to guide with advice on the likes of assignments you may have.

Peer mentoring does not replace the role of academic staff, your personal tutor or support services, rather, it aims to help you make a smooth transition to University, while offering you the chance to get to know other Level 1 students within your School and to ask questions of students who are a year or two ahead of you.

Advice SU

Advice SU

The Students’ Union may be moving buildings but all the support services are still here! They have regular drop in sessions offering free, independent, confidential and non-judgemental advice on issues such as finance, academic issues, accommodation, discplinary issues, funding your course and your health and wellbeing.

Student Wellbeing Service



If you need support you can speak with a Wellbeing Advisor  for free by completing the online form or emailing Students will be allocated a one hour consultation appointment with a Wellbeing Adviser to discuss their issues/concerns and look at appropriate support options.

The Student Wellbeing Adviser will listen non judgementally to your issues and concerns, and talk through suitable support options. There are also regular Drop In services available where you can have a quick chat with an advisor about your issues or personal circumstances.



Queen’s has teamed up with Inspire, a local counselling organisation to work with students. They offer free appointments to registered students and can be contacted by emailing or phoning 0808 800 0016 (a 24 hour free phone).

Learning Development Service

learning development


The learning development service (LDS) provides academic skills support for students, through online resources, one-to-one appointments and workshops. They can help you with essay writing, referencing and research skills to name just a few!

Disability Services



For those starting uni who have a disability then the disability services team can provide a whole lot of support. They can help to arrange in-course support for you with flexibility and adjustments made to assignments and exams, and making sure your school is aware of your requirements. They can also assist with applications for Disabled Students’ Allowance.

Careers Consultants

career consuktants

You want a good job once you’ve graduated and that’s what the careers consultants are there for! Through the MyFuture website, you can book a careers consultation, or a CV or LinkedIn check. These consultations  are also provided for two years after graduation to provide you with support after you leave Queen’s as well.

Find out more about the support services at Queen’s

Photo: Peter Moor
Peter Moor
Student blogger, BA English and Linguistics