Professor Colin Harvey
Professor of Human Rights Law
School of Law
Professor Colin Harvey is Professor of Human Rights Law in the School of Law, Queen’s University Belfast, a Fellow of the Senator George J Mitchell Institute for Global Peace, Security and Justice, and an Associate Fellow of the Institute of Irish Studies.
Professor Harvey is a leading expert in Human Rights Law and Constitutional Law, with a particular focus on bills of rights, refugee and asylum law, as well as the relationship between constitutionalism and rights and equality. His has also worked extensively on the implications of Brexit for the island of Ireland. He has written and taught widely on human rights law and policy and recently led an ESRC funded project on the consequences of Brexit for Northern Ireland.
Professor Harvey has served as a Commissioner on the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission, and as a member of the Northern Ireland Higher Education Council. He is the Editor of the Series Human Rights Law in Perspective (Hart-Bloomsbury) and is on the editorial boards of Human Rights Law Review, Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly and European Human Rights Law Review. He is a member of the Academic Panel at Doughty Street Chambers, and a Senior Research Associate, Refugee Law Initiative, School of Advanced Study, University of London.
FieldsBrexit Human Rights Law
Areas of Expertise
Law, Brexit, Human Rights
Professor Harvey is an experienced media commentator.
- University professor claims DUP `self-harming´ Northern Ireland, Daily Mail 26/01/2019
- A united Ireland: a hard border fix that dare not speak its name, RTE.ie 25/01/2019
- How much might an Irish passport be worth after Brexit, Bloomberg.com 13/11/2018
- Brexit is now an 'existential threat' to Northern Ireland, 16/10/2017
- Future Ireland / Uniting our Shared Island by Professor Colin Harvey, 11/09/2019
- No, the Northern Ireland Brexit solution was not going to break up the United Kingdom, The Daily Telegraph 05/12/2017
- Estou muito preocupado com o impacto do Brexit no processo de paz da Irlanda do Norte, Diario de Nolicias 14/01/2019
- Brexit threatens to make Irish in North second class citizens, Irish Times 23/01/2019
Associated Research Centres / Projects
Professor Harvey is also a Fellow of the Senator George J Mitchell Institute for Global Peace, Security and Justice.
Associate Fellow of the Institute of Irish Studies.