The Belfast Region City Deal unlocks £1billion of transformative co-investment which will deliver more than 20 highly ambitious projects and programmes, create up to 20,000 new, and better, jobs and help make the region a global investment destination over the next decade - in 2030 and beyond.
THREE INNOVATION CENTRES
Our impact-focussed Innovation Centres are helping lead the way for a brilliant new Belfast region, bringing together great minds and creative thinking to solve some of the biggest global challenges.
We want our Innovation Centres to create extraordinary ecosystems and drive momentum to create real-world impact through connected-up, purpose-driven innovation.
AMIC will provide a specialised environment for advanced manufacturing and engineering sectors to access the latest manufacturing technology and Industry 4.0 smart automation, supported by experienced, professional engineers.
iREACH Health will create a clinical research delivery ecosystem which will shape the future of healthcare and improve people’s lives for years to come. A collaboration between researchers, industry, clinicians and the NHS, it will improve the speed and efficiency of clinical trials of new medicines and MedTech.
SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC GROWTH FOR OUR REGION
We want to ensure the Centres help fulfil the vision for inclusive, sustainable economic growth that delivers more and better jobs.
Using cutting-edge technologies our experts are building on a track record of research excellence. We’re working with forward-thinking partners to identify and address challenges within our factories, farms and clinical facilities.
Technology is key but it will always need skilled people to ensure it works in the best way. Our Centres are focussed on looking to the future to ensure that Northern Ireland has the skilled workforce it needs to continue to innovate and drive technological advances.
EY Economists project that the three Queen’s Innovation Centres will deliver:
£1.9BN - £2.6BN
PER YEAR IN ADDITIONAL GDP
COLLABORATION IS KEY TO OUR SUCCESS
Our relationships with industry, academia, government, healthcare organisations and communities are key to making positive changes in society.
We want to create new types of collaborative locations with multifunctional, multidisciplinary facilities. Engaging with our stakeholders is vital to make sure each centre works hard for everyone involved and that, together, we can make important breakthroughs.
REAL-WORLD SOLUTIONS TO THE TOUGHEST CHALLENGES
What is a region city deal?
- It is transformative. Simply, city deals are injections of capital funding from central and regional government.
- It creates strong partnerships. It enables our region to create new infrastructure for innovation and regional development. However, it’s the creation of partnerships between the public and private sectors that make City Deals so significant.
- It’s a reset button. The deal allows us to come together and think about what our industries really need and what will genuinely benefit our communities.
- We have been at the forefront of breakthroughs in innovation since 1845. Our strategy for the next decade to Shape a Better World will see us strive for inclusive growth in the region.
- We want to deliver practical solutions to real problems. Being a partner in the Belfast Region City Deal means we can build much-needed infrastructure to make this happen.
- This is an unprecedented collaborative opportunity for Queen’s to work alongside Ulster University, government, local authorities and industry partners to tackle key challenges.
OUR RECENT PROJECT SUCCESSES
Here, great minds and great thinking come together for the greater good. With the right infrastructure and people, we can set the region on a new and better path.
Together we will catalyse, commercialise and apply innovation to elevate our region, long famed for its inherent entrepreneurial spirit.
AMIC recently brought together over 70 leaders in advanced manufacturing to roadmap our future for the £98m Factory of the Future, setting out the challenges and solutions.
iREACH is working with patients, clinicians, life and data scientists and industry partners to deliver new diagnostics, treatments, and technologies for its translational research centre.
GII is consulting with partners as it sets out plans for new collaborative working spaces and technology infrastructure at its 10,000 sq metre hub in Belfast’s Titanic Quarter.
GET IN TOUCH
Contact the Belfast Region City Deal team at Queen's University for more information, or if you'd like to be involved.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch with specific team members.
Sign up to our newsletter Follow us on Twitter Follow us on LinkedIn
New pilot project fund set to drive academic-industry collaboration under Belfast Region City Deal20 January 2023