Manual Handling relates to the moving of items either by lifting, lowering, pushing, pulling or carrying. Manual handling is one of the most common causes of injury at work and can occur almost anywhere in the workplace. It is essential to manage risks associated with lifting and handling tasks, from avoidance of handling, where practicable, to risk assessment of handling activities and reduction of risks.
This guidance provides advice on:
- the basic principles for safe lifting and handling
- HSE guidelines on maximum weights for lifting and lowering
- The elements of a general risk asessment
- Risk reduction techniques
- Training requirements
- Detailed manual handling risk assessment for higher risk handling activities