English language requirements
The Pre-sessional English course provides a short and intensive preparation in academic English for students who are already academically qualified and due to start an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme at Queen’s University Belfast in September 2018.
WHAT IS PRE-SESSIONAL ENGLISH?
Pre-sessional English provides high quality Academic English lessons which prepare international students for academic study at Queen’s University Belfast.
This course is designed to:
- improve your English language proficiency in the core skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, within a university context
- focus on subject-related work in your chosen area of study including a written project
- help you to study independently using our extensive online materials.
WHO SHOULD APPLY FOR THIS COURSE?
This 20-hour per week course is suitable for you if you are academically qualified, hold an offer from Queen’s University Belfast, and need to improve your English language level before starting an undergraduate or a postgraduate degree at Queen’s University Belfast. The Pre- sessional course runs from July to early September. Your course length will vary depending on your current language level and degree programme requirements.
WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT THIS COURSE?
THE COURSE WILL:
- provide contextual study skills that acclimatise you to the culture of a UK university
- enable you to adjust to the demands, challenges and expectations of UK higher education and culture
- provide you with a short period of time to adapt to living and studying in the UK prior to beginning your academic studies.
- most students will qualify for an Integrated CAS. This means that you will not have to reapply for a visa after successfully completing the program. Students receiving an Integrated CAS must have English as the only condition of the Queen’s University Belfast Offer
You will be assessed through a combination of examination and coursework during the course. Methods of assessment will include short written texts, extended essays and presentations. At the end of the course, reading, writing, speaking and listening tests will be completed.
There is no formal examination at the end of the four week pre-sessional since students on this course have already met the English language requirement for their degree programme at Queen’s University.
Assuming you have already met the University’s academic entry requirements and any other outstanding conditions, achieving the level of performance required in the Pre-sessional English course to fulfil the conditions of your offer will allow you to progress to your university course without needing to retake the IELTS test.
Key course facts
- Start dates - June, July and August
- Course length - 4, 6 or 10 weeks
- Class hours - 20 hours per week
- Class sizes - Maximum of 16 students per class for English language teaching
- Age requirement - 17 years and above
- Academic entry requirement - Applicants must hold an offer of a place on a degree programme at Queen’s University Belfast.
English language entry requirement
If your IELTS score does not meet the minimum requirement for Pre Sessional English, please contact INTO Queen’s University. You may meet admission requirements using other standards.
For degree courses that require IELTS 6.5
for direct entry
- 4 weeks: IELTS 6.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in any subskill) or equivalent
- 6 weeks: IELTS 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in three subskills and 5.0 in one subskill) or equivalent
- 10 weeks: IELTS 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.0 in any subskill) or equivalent
For degree courses that require IELTS 6.0
for direct entry
- 4 weeks: IELTS 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in any subskill) or equivalent
- 6 weeks: IELTS 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.0 in any subskill) or equivalent
- 10 weeks: IELTS 5.0 (with a minimum of 5.0 in any subskill) or equivalent
Please ensure you consult Queen’s University Belfast for details of the English language level required for entry onto your chosen course.