Professor Biqiong Chen
Professor of Polymer Engineering
School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Professor Chen, an expert in polymer nanocomposites, takes a holistic approach to research, combining synthesis, functionalisation, processing, characterisation and application of polymers, nanoparticles and polymer nanocomposites.
Professor Chen's research interests are mainly focused on polymer nanocomposites, aiming to gain a sound scientific understanding of their formation and reinforcement/toughening mechanisms, whilst also creating advanced polymer nanocomposites with controllable morphologies and properties for a variety of applications including healthcare, energy and general engineering applications.
Her current research activities cover:
- Polymer-clay nanocomposites
- Polymer-graphene nanocomposites
- Polymer-cellulose nanocomposites
- Stimuli-responsive polymer nanocomposites
- Strong and tough polymer nanocomposite hydrogels
- Biomimetic elastomers and elastomer nanocomposites for soft tissue engineering
- Polymer nanocomposites for stretchable electronics
- Multifunctional nanoparticles for bioimaging and cancer therapy
Areas of Expertise
Materials Science and Engineering, Polymers, Nanocomposites, Nanomaterials