Welcome to the Maths Academy
Mathematics is the language that brings science and engineering to life and has resulted in a world full of invention. But, as with any language, sometimes you just need a little bit of help to clear up the translation.
That’s where the Maths Academy comes in, created by the Faculty of Engineering & Physical Sciences (EPS) at Queens University and led by Prof Adele Marshall, Director of the Maths Academy, we’re here to inspire and enable students across the University to discover and develop their mathematical confidence and ability by maximising their understanding and skills. We also aim to support and encourage younger pre-university pupils to continue their maths study by showcasing the importance and enjoyment of maths.
Who We Support
Mathematics underpins all of our disciplines across the EPS Faculty and many programmes across the university and the Maths Academy aims to support our students and staff and additionally to engage with and support employers who require employees with various levels of mathematical skills.
The Maths Academy supports students from early years through the Maths QUBe initiative to undergraduate and postgraduate students where we support students across the university at our Maths and Statistics Helpdesk (MASH). The Maths Academy is also delivering a range of support interventions to support all first-year students during 2021/22 whose programme requires an A level Maths for entry.
Support provided includes:
- A new zero-cat, non-graded canvas module hosting a diagnostic test/self-test quiz appropriate to the A level curriculum with workable solutions provided to help build students knowledge. 1st-year students with an A level entry requirement for their programme will automatically be enrolled on this module. The diagnostic test topic areas focus on pure maths, statistics and mechanics maths. Link to module here
- Also contained within the module is a suite of maths resources that cover all areas of the A level curriculum which students can use for self-study. There are a range of resources from QUB author specific content, interactive, videos and text-based to provide for all students preferred method of learning.
- A calendar of maths focussed events and activities throughout 2021/22 including ‘lunch n learn’ topic-specific events, datathons, and many more. Details of upcoming events will be promoted to students via the canvas module.
- Expansion of the Maths & Stats Helpdesk (MASH). Previously only available to EPS students, from 2021/22 the Maths Academy is now making the service available to all UG and PG students across the university.
The Aims of the Maths Academy
- To support students and staff in building mathematics and statistics skills which enhance their study of science and engineering
- Build on relationships with employers, who have identified proficiency in mathematics skills as being vital to the success of their businesses
- Enhance Engagement with the broader community
To receive occasional emails about general news, initiatives and events from the Maths Academy please sign up here
How We Can Help
Maths and Stats Helpdesk
Confused by a particular topic, stuck on a problem, or just want to build Maths confidence? We offer students in the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Science free, 1-1 sessions with experts.
Maths QUBe is a free programme of maths activities and videos for primary school children designed to demonstrate the importance of maths in our everyday lives in an engaging and fun way.
As the Maths Academy continues to grow and develop we will be extending our support to post-primary teachers with a Teachers' Conference. We will also be hosting a Study Group with Industry.
Where to Find Us
The Maths Academy is part of the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences, Queen’s University Belfast.