The Centre for Documentary Research at QUB was launched on April 4th 2017. It is a new initiative that offers a space to debate issues and organise activities around the study and practice of documentary film. Our team in interdisciplinary, with interests in Film, Languages, English and History. We are scholars, students, curators and practitioners of documentary film, with interests including mental health, conflict, experimental film, Brazilian protest films, new media and interactivity. We intend to run workshops, screenings, seminars, and conferences; contribute to publications; and, of course, make documentary films.
Collaborations and links
We have already established collaborative relationships with local and international groups and intend to build on these:
- Queens Film Theatre - https://queensfilmtheatre.com
- Belfast Film Festival - https://belfastfilmfestival.org
- Respect Human Right Film Festival - https://filmfreeway.com/festival/RespectHumanRightsFilmFestival/
- Documentary Film Institute, San Francisco State University - https://docfilm.sfsu.edu
- idocs in Bristol http://i-docs.org
- Visible Evidence - http://www.visibleevidence.org
- Prisons Memory Archive www.prisonsmemoryarchive.com
Upcoming events and news
Call for Papers, ‘Citizenship and Surveillance: the Camera as Witness’
November 9th 2017, Queen’s University Belfast
The newly established Centre for Documentary Research at Queen’s University Belfast, will host a one-day conference on the theme of ‘Citizenship and Surveillance: the Camera as Witness’.
In collaboration with the Documentary Film Institute of the State University of San Francisco, the conference will investigate, from an international perspective, the use of images and sounds for purposes of witnessing community/political advocacy or by state/company surveillance. We welcome papers from theorists, practitioners, and curators.
More details on accompanying film screenings at Queen’s Film Theatre and keynote speaker(s) to follow soon.
Please submit your abstract (max 500 words) and brief bio by September 3rd to firstname.lastname@example.org