Skip to Content

Postgraduate Research degree types

As part of the Russell Group, Queen’s is proud to be one of the UK’s leading research universities, offering postgraduate research opportunities across all fields of study.

A research degree offers you the opportunity to gain in-depth, specialised knowledge in an original research project, guided by a supervisory team, which culminates in the presentation of a thesis which you defend in an oral examination.

During your studies you will also develop research, personal and professional development skills that will support future careers within academia, industry or the public sector


The development of transferable skills is an integral part of the experience of being a postgraduate research student.

The Postgraduate Development Programme led by The Graduate School offers you a choice of training courses and development activities aimed at providing you with the skills to complete your higher degree and enhance your employability. The funding bodies for postgraduates consider the development of these skills as an essential part of training for careers both in academic and non-academic work environments.

The courses offered in the Development Programme supplement those provided by Schools and are available to all research students.

Funding is available for studentled initiatives. These are activities developed and delivered by postgraduate students for postgraduate students. These initiatives can involve organising a conference, research seminar or some other research event.

To date these initiatives have proven to be very effective in encouraging students to identify their skills requirements and develop their own training.

For further information on the Postgraduate Development Programme, please visit


You may be permitted to carry out some of your research away from Queen’s. You will need to satisfy the University that you will maintain appropriate contact with your supervisor, and have access to appropriate facilities, during any periods spent away, and you may be required to spend a specified period of time in residence at the University.

You will be subject to the University’s normal training and monitoring requirements.

Find a course
Browse our programmes
Back to main page
Find a PhD