- Level of StudyPostgraduate Research
These studentships were founded in 1943 under the will of Sir Joseph Larmor, FRS, for the purpose of purpose of increasing the value of a scholarship already held by especially deserving students. They have since been supplemented from University funds and are now called Larmor-University Awards. Normally the award covers a stipend/maintenance allowance between £2,500 to a £5,000 per annum (subject to funds).
Living Costs / Stipend
Larmor endowment and University Funds
In recent years the Larmor University studentships awarded have been from £1,500 to £5,000 per annum. Normally awarded for one year or two years maximum, but must re-apply each year. The total value of the Larmor University studentship combined with the candidate’s other scholarships must not exceed the value of a government-financed postgraduate studentship, covering maintenance and full tuition fees, eg 2021-22 rates: stipend £15,609 per annum and Home/EU/ International fees.
Number of Awards
Subject to funds normally at least two awards will be made each year and will be tenable for one year in the first instance but may be renewed for a further year. If money is available additional awards may be made to postgraduate research students under the same conditions.
Larmor endowment and University Funds
Terms and Conditions
All candidates are required to give details of any other studentships for which they have applied or which may be awarded.
- Applicants can be Home/EU or International
- Candidates must have graduated within the last three years.
- Candidates must be new or returning PhD students due to undertake full-time or part-time postgraduate PhD research study at Queen's University Belfast in 2021-22.
- The successful candidate must hold concurrently a scholarship funded by the University or another source (excluding student loans) alongside the Larmor-University award in 2021-22. The combined value of both awards must not exceed the value of a government-financed postgraduate studentship covering stipend and fees eg Department for the Economy (DfE) studentship 2021-22 rates £15,609 pa stipend and £4,500 pa full-time fees (or pro rata equivalent). If you are a student in receipt of funding (eg from eg DfE UKRI or other organisation) covering stipend and fees at the standard UKRI/DfE rates (whether for 1-12 months in 2021-22 equivalent in value to a DfE award you are not eligible for consideration. If you are a student in receipt of a Stipend Only extension due to CV19 impact on your research normally held with a fee free period (FFP) you are not eligible for consideration. Typically, candidates awarded a Research Council or DfE Fees only award may apply. *
- The recipient must be a registered Queen’s postgraduate research student and studying on a full time or part time basis. Those registered as Thesis Only are not eligible.
- The Larmor-University Scholarship is awarded for study at Queen’s University Belfast in the academic year 2021-22 and cannot be used for 2022-23 entry or any other year. If you wish to defer your entry to the University your scholarship will not be transferred.
- The recipient is required to notify the Graduate School of any changes relating to your funding, student status or employment. If you do not do so you may be required to repay the Larmor University Studentship
Tue, 02 Nov 2021 09:00:00 GMT
Mon, 22 Nov 2021 23:59:00 GMT
How to Apply
Candidates must complete an online application and submit by the deadline specified. References may be requested. Candidates are required to provide details of two referees on the application form.
Larmor-University Scholarship QUB Application Form 2021-22
Guidance for completing the application form is available here.
Candidates will be notified of outcomes by Monday 11 December.