The Faculty of Arts, Humanities is committed to reducing its impact on the environment and promoting ways to be 'Green' throughout. Currently we our targeting single use plastics by promoting reusable coffee cups and water bottles.
The following facilities are available:
- Books: Point in the Purchasing Office
- Cardboard: Flatpack and take to point in the Purchasing Office
- CDs: Point in the Purchasing Office
- Clothes: Point in the Purchasing Office
- Paper: White recycling bags can be obtained from Reception
- Plastic e.g. milk bottles: In designated areas
- Cans: In designated areas
- Batteries: Point in the Purchasing Office
- Printer Cartridges/toner: At Reception
Details of further recycling facilities will be added to this page once they become available. Further information can be found in the A-Z Guide to Waste and Recycling
• Staff should use online resources rather than hard copy where possible
• Tap water should be made available for meetings etc. rather than bottled water
• Where possible bring in a mug for tea/coffee rather than use disposable cups
• If you are ordering catering from internal or external suppliers, please ask them to ensure that, as far as possible, they are using locally produced, seasonal food. This limits the air miles associated with food brought in unnecessarily from other countries.
Details on how to access the University by public transport, walking or cycling can be found via the Sustainable Travel webpage.
The Cycle+ scheme allows staff to purchase a bicycle and safety equipment, and receive National Insurance and Income Tax discounts through a salary sacrifice scheme. Further information is available at www.qub.ac.uk/cycleplus
Details of the nearest cycle storage are available at the university Cycle Plus site.
The nearest shower and changing facilities are available, free of charge to staff in the Whitla Medical building. The form to request access can be found here.
The cycle mileage allowance for travelling by bicycle on University business is 10p per mile Information on the University's car-sharing scheme can be viewed at www.qubcarshare.com or perhaps you could arrange to travel with a colleague if you’re both going to the same area for meetings, placement visits, fieldwork interviews, etc.
The University has an interest-free loan scheme for staff to buy bus or rail passes. Click here for more information
The Faculty Office has a switch-off plan which involves a light, power and heat check.
Please switch off lights if you are last to leave a room, turn off appliances at the socket at the end of the working day and turn off any printers, chargers, etc during the day if they are not in use.
The University has teleconference and video-conference facilities that can be used as an alternative to travelling to meetings. For more information click here.
If you know of a problem with heating, draughts, or a dripping tap etc. please report it promptly to Marguerite Quinn at email@example.com.
Queen's has teleconference and video-conference facilities that can be used as an alternative to travelling to meetings. For more information visit http://go.qub.ac.uk/QUBVideoConferencing
For further information please view the Carbon Management at Queen’s website