Three Months Prior To Arrival
Select your modules
Before you make your application to study at Queen's you will need to decide on the modules you wish to take, The Faculty of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences Module List can be found here.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries about your modules. Remember to check with your home institution to ensure the modules are suitable for credit transfer.
- Making your study application
Our Global Opportunities Team are the admissions team at Queen's and will process your application to study with us. The usual deadline to apply for Fall study is the start of June and for Spring study the deadline will be the start of October. Once you have chosen your modules, please visit here to make your application.
Please note you may receive an email requesting additional paperwork as part of the automated application process. Please see the Additional Paperwork section below for guidance for in relation to this.
- Additional paperwork
Following the submission of your application to study with us the Admissions team at Queen's require some additional paperwork before they can issue your offer to study.
For partner students, your home university contact will submit this paperwork to the Admissions team at QUB on your behalf.
- An official academic transcript of the courses taken at your home university
- An academic reference from a professor who can comment on your academic performance to date
- A copy of your passport (personal details/photo page)
Email documentation as soon as possible after you submit your application to your home university's contact. If you have any questions please email AHSSabroad@qub.ac.uk
Two Months Prior To Arrival
Offer Letter and Pre Arrival Information
Once your paperwork has been submitted to the Admissions team at Queen's, you will receive an offer letter by email which you will be asked to accept. Your offer letter will also include information on housing, visas and other relevant arrival information. You should accept this as soon as possible. Please note you can still withdraw to study at Queen's anytime up until term starts and will not be charged.
- Your Student Visa
You will receive information about applying for a visa to study in the UK with your offer letter. Most semester study abroad students (less than six months) study under the Visitor Visa for Study. More information is found here
Your citizenship will usually determine your option. The Admissions team at Queen's will issue the immigration document you require to study with us.
Please note only our Immigration team at Queen's can provide you with visa advice. If you have any queries contact email@example.com
- Applying for Accommodation
Once you are issued your Queen's student number from the Admissions team, please read the below information then complete the accommodation application form here.
All QUB accommodation is self catering, which means you have facilities to cook your own meals, with a host of local supermarkets and stores nearby. Or if you prefer to eat out there are plentiful cafes and restaurants to explore! All accommodation comes inclusive of utility bills, high speed internet and 24/7 on site safety team.
When applying for your accommodation please note:
- You may be asked for up to three accommodation location preferences. Please ensure your group's accommodation is your first choice, the system may require you to insert two other choices, so please just write two 'dummy' choices.
- If you have any access needs or disabilities which may impact your accommodation needs then please ensure you disclose these when prompted on the application, as this is a separate application to your Queen's study application. If you have any particular access needs we recommend you contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, prior to accommodation applications opening.
- You will be asked on your application if you require either a kitchen utensil pack or a bedding pack. This is a convenient option so you do not have to bring such items with you when packing. There is a cost for these items which you can pay for on arrival at the Accommodation Reception. The combined kitchen and bedding pack is £60.00, or separately the bedding pack is £35.00 and the kitchen pack is £30.00. The Towel pack is £20. Information on these packs and the items they include can be found here.
- First Pre Departure Workshop
The first pre departure workshop with the Queen's team will be two months prior to arrival. Dates will be confirmed via your home institution.
One Month Prior To Arrival
Booking flights to Queen's
More details on getting to Queen's can be found here.
Please note that if you are studying on a Visitor Visa for Study you should enter via a UK port of entry only; ie. NOT the Republic of Ireland. Please contact our Visa and Immigration team for further information E: email@example.com
- Pre departure information
The team in the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (AHSS Abroad) will send you weekly updates on the lead up to your arrival to help prepare you for studying at Queen's.
Please keep an eye to your email for these updates and you will also have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
- Second Pre Departure Workshop
The second pre departure workshop with the Queen's team is scheduled for the month prior to arrival. Your home institution will confirm the date for this event.
Enrolment and Registration
Students are required to complete ONLINE registration at the start of the academic year via the Qsis Registration Portal.
You will receive a welcome email from the University which will contain your Queen’s email address, username and password. You will need this password to access a number of Queen’s online systems so please keep it safe.
The email will also provide guidance on the different stages of enrolment that you will need to complete.
1. Complete online enrolment via the registration portal
2. In the final step of the online enrolment you will have the opportunity to book a matriculation appointment, which is an appointment you can usually book either in person on campus, or as a remote online appointment.
Find out more here
- Arriving in Belfast
Our partner groups will be advised an arrival day and airport (usually Belfast City Airpot BHD) where you will receive a warm welcome by our team and brought to your accommodation and get settled in to your new home.
If you have any further queries please contact our team at AHSSabroad@qub.ac.uk
- Faculty Welcome and Induction for Visiting Students
The Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences run a Faculty Welcome and induction to studying at Queen's. This is usually the week before teaching commences.
- Semester term begins
Teaching at Queen's begins Monday 20 September 2021 for Fall Study and Monday 10 January 2022 for Spring Study.
Your School may also hold a range of induction events during this time.
2021/2022 term dates can be found here