Moving to a new country is an exciting adventure. To help you settle in, it’s important to research where you're going to live and plan as early as you can. We have all the information you need to help you find the accommodation that’s right for you.
ACOMMODATION AND A CAMPUS IN THE HEART OF BELFAST
Queen’s University’s historic campus is just a 15 minute walk from Belfast's vibrant city centre.
The cobblestoned streets of the Cathedral Quarter and beyond are home to bustling restaurants/cafes, pubs and arts venues, where street art, live music and friendly people create the legendary Belfast buzz.
LIVE SAFE, COMFORTABLE AND AFFORDABLE
In the academic year 2023-24, Queen’s University Belfast (Queen’s) welcomes applications from undergraduate and postgraduate students either studying on a full-time basis at Queen’s, or studying on a Queen’s validated Foundation programme delivered through Belfast Metropolitan College or Southwest College,) and other higher and further education institutions in Northern Ireland.
We have over 3,500 rooms available at Queen’s with a further 700 bedrooms with a nominated accommodation partner in Belfast City Centre. Our safe, high-quality accommodation, with wrap around residential support is guaranteed for all first year undergraduate and postgraduate international students.
Weekly rent is some of the lowest in the UK, ranging from £85 - £199, with room options for every price range. Lifestyle options of no alcohol, quiet living and single gender are also available.
The deadline for guaranteed applications is 30 June 2023, terms and conditions apply. Link to Allocation Policy here.
CHOOSING YOUR ACCOMMODATION
Choosing where to live while you study can really help make your student experience at Queen’s special.
First, think about how you like to live and what you will be comfortable with:
- What is your budget? Be realistic about what you can afford and the length of contract you should commit to.
- Are you a social person or do you prefer peace and quiet? You could share an apartment with other students or live on your own.
- Do you want your own en-suite bathroom or are you happy to share with others? Shared facilities are often cheaper, but you might want some privacy.
No matter where you study, there’s somewhere nearby to stay - some accommodation options are only a five-minute walk away from the main campus.
Start your research as soon as possible. Look through our accommodation options, taking note of their facilities and location, and make a shortlist of the ones that might be right for you.
Think about how long you need your accommodation for. All our contracts start in September, run throughout the academic year, and include the Christmas and Easter holidays.
We offer flexible accommodation contracts for exchange or study abroad students for one semester.
Our all-inclusive residential fees mean there are no hidden costs, and our payment plans help you decide what best suits you.
- All-inclusive fees - including electricity, heating, hot water
- High speed wired and wireless internet
- Contents insurance included
- Safety Team available 24/7
- Customer Service support 24/7
- Parcel post system
- Cleaning of communal areas
- Access to gym at Elms BT1 and off-peak gym membership to the Physical Education Centre at Queen’s
- Pastoral support, trips and social events
- Student common lounge with games tables and a free tea and coffee lounge
- Rooms available for private, group study or society meetings
MAKE MEMORIES AND FRIENDS FOR LIFE
Our campus communities are designed to make you feel at home and help you make friends. From the moment you arrive, we will support your living needs.
This includes a full Residential Life programme which features events and pastoral care, 24/7 safety team, as well as maintenance support. Our Residential Life Coordinators also offer support, help and guidance on settling into student life in Belfast.
VIRTUAL ACCOMMODATION TOUR
Experience our accommodation for yourself by exploring our virtual tour.
We have 360 photos of all our locations along with tips and videos to help you choose the accommodation option that's best for you.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ACCOMMODATION
For information and advice on how to apply for accommodation through our online application, visit our How to Apply section. You can choose the location, room type and contract length that best suits your needs.
To make your application you must create an account first, then follow the instructions ensuring you read the ALLOCATION POLICY carefully, noting important deadlines and key dates. You do not have to pay a deposit payment straight away but once you are accepted onto your course and you receive an offer of accommodation via email, you will be required to pay a £300 deposit.
Important / Key Dates
|Accommodation portfolio and prices published on website||Jan 2023|
|Online Application opens||9 Feb 2023|
|International/GB/ROI students to be guaranteed accommodation
|Application to be submitted by||30 Jun 2023|
|A-Level Results Day||17 Aug 2023|
|Allocations commence||17 Aug 2023|
|International/GB/ROI students to be guaranteed accommodation
|40, 44 and 48-week contract start date||9 Sept 2023|
|51-week contract start date||16 Sept 2023|
What To Bring with You
All Queen's Accommodation is furnished with a bed, a wardrobe with hanging rail and shelving, a desk and chair, waste bin, window covering and desk lighting.
You can purchase these items when you arrive to your accommodation.
- Washing detergent for laundry and dishes
- Towels and dish drying towels
- Clothes hangers
- Crockery, cutlery, saucepans and bed linen (can be ordered prior to arrival for delivery to your accommodation)
- Hairdryer and toiletries
If you are bringing any electrical equipment with you, please note the following:
- It is less than 1000 Watts and is safe
- Plugs in UK have three pins
- Adapters can be purchased at the airport or in local shops when you arrive
- We provide free PAT testing (portable appliance testing) – we arrange times for you to bring your electrical equipment to be tested for safety
Items not to bring as they are not permitted:
- Electric heaters or electric blankets
- Candles or incense
- Electrical multi-socket extension leads
- Animals, reptiles, fish or insects
- Hairdryers or other electrical items over 1000 watts
- Knives, catapults, cylinders of gas, chemicals or biological substances, replica guns, laser guns, air guns, water pistols, water bombs, fireworks
Storage space is limited so don’t bring too many belongings with you as everything is available locally. Please remember, you are sharing fridge and freezer space so plan your shopping accordingly. Storage for luggage is on a first-come, first-served basis.
International students can store their belongings during the Summer holidays if you are returning to Queen’s Accommodation the following academic year.
ARRIVING IN BELFAST
AIRPORT WELCOME SERVICE
We're looking forward to welcoming you to Queen's University Belfast in September 2023. At this point, you may be thinking about travel plans. Below is guidance for airport arrivals and getting to your accommodation.
Check My Queen's for airport meet and greet information.
Familiarise yourself with airport in this video:
The approximate cost of a taxi to Belfast City Centre with one of our approved taxi providers are as follows:
- Approximately £15.00 (including a £2 surcharge) from Belfast City Airport
- Approximately between £35.00 and £45.00 from Belfast International Airport
The approximate costs for Public Transport options are as follows:
- Approximately £8.00 for the bus
- Approximately £10.00 for the train
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long will my journey to Accommodation take?
The journey time from Belfast City Airport is around 15 minutes and from Belfast International Airport about 30 minutes.
- How can I find a taxi?
There are private taxi companies in Belfast which offer airport collection services. It is best to book these services in advance.
For Belfast International Airport, you can use you can use Value Cabs or Belfast Airport Taxis. For Belfast City Airport, you can use Value Cabs.