An Honorary Titles New_Upgrade Nomination Form should be submitted for the conferral of Honorary Titles. Honorary Titles Renewal Nomination Form should be submitted for the renewal of Honorary Titles.
The steps of the process are as follows:
- Heads of Schools approach potential nominees to discuss the possibility of an Honorary Title.
- Candidates provide the School with access to a summary CV (three to five pages). Where a publicly accessible CV is available, the URL to this should be provided to the School. The CV should include the names of two external referees who have agreed to be consulted about the nomination. A CV Template is available.
- The School completes the standard nomination form. The School will either include an URL to the candidate’s CV on the form or provide a copy of the CV. The School also includes the name of a third external referee who has agreed to be consulted about the nomination.
- Referee details are not required for nominations of the title of Honorary Lecturer (both new and renewal unless requested by the Faculty at a later date.
- Heads of Schools arrange for the School Management Board to consider all nominations against the approved Academic Profiles, and forward all Honorary Professor and Honorary Professor of Practice nomination forms to Academic Affairs and forward all Honorary Lecturer and Honorary Senior Lecturer nomination forms to their Faculty.
- The Secretary of the Honorary Titles Committee requests three external references for each nomination for Honorary Professor and Honorary Professor of Practice. The Faculty reserves the right to request references for nominations for Honorary Senior Lecturers and Honorary Lecturers. The School will be contacted if further referee details are required.
- Once Honorary Lecturer and Honorary Senior Lecturer approval is granted by Faculty, Schools add the Honorary Title holder to the QUB Additional Persons database, and issues a confirmation letter, a document outlining rights and responsibilities, and an identification card.
- The Honorary Titles Committee considers and approves Honorary Professor and Honorary Professor of Practice recommendations from Schools.
- Once Honorary Professor and Honorary Professor of Practice approval is granted, Academic Affairs adds the Honorary Title holder to the QUB Additional Persons database, and issues a confirmation letter, a document outlining rights and responsibilities, and an identification card.
The Honorary Titles Committee meets three times per academic year (normally October, February and June), and is serviced by Academic Affairs. Faculty approval will also take place three times per year from 2021-22.
The Protocol for Handling Honorary Titles Nominations outlines current practice for handling Honorary Title Nominations.
The University’s Privacy Notice in respect of Honorary Titles can be accessed here.
Further Guidance on protecting personal data in completing nomination forms and providing CVs is available.