The titles of Honorary Professor, Honorary Professor of Practice, Honorary Senior Lecturer and Honorary Lecturer are awarded to recognise and reward an agreed contribution to the teaching and/or research of the University, or input through professional standing, in the interests of the University.
Please find below the scheduled dates of the Honorary Titles Committee in academic year 2023-24 and the respective submission deadlines for nomination forms to be received.
Honorary Titles Committee Meeting
18 September 2023
24 October 2023
12 January 2024
28 February 2024
22 March 2024
16 May 2024
Criteria for Conferment
Those considered for Honorary Titles should meet an agreed Academic Profiles in terms of their academic/professional standing.
An Honorary Titles New_Upgrade Nomination Form should be submitted for the conferral of Honorary Titles in the School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences (SMDBS). Other Schools should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a link to the new online form.
An Honorary Titles Renewal Nomination Form should be submitted for the renewal of Honorary Titles in the School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences (SMDBS). Other Schools should contact email@example.com for a link to the new online form.
The steps of the process are as follows:
- Heads of Schools approach potential nominees to discuss the possibility of an Honorary Title.
- Candidates provide the School with access to a summary CV (three to five pages). Where a publicly accessible CV is available, the URL to this should be provided to the School. The CV should include the names of two external referees who have agreed to be consulted about the nomination. A CV Template is available.
- The School completes the standard nomination form (SMDBS only) or online form. The School will either include an URL to the candidate’s CV on the form or provide a copy of the CV. The School also includes the name of a third external referee who has agreed to be consulted about the nomination.
- Referee details are not required for nominations of the title of Honorary Lecturer (both new and renewal unless requested by the Faculty at a later date.
- Heads of Schools arrange for the School Management Board to consider all nominations against the approved Academic Profiles, and forward all Honorary Professor and Honorary Professor of Practice nomination forms to Academic Affairs and forward all Honorary Lecturer and Honorary Senior Lecturer nomination forms to their Faculty.
- The Secretary of the Honorary Titles Committee requests three external references for each nomination for Honorary Professor and Honorary Professor of Practice. The Faculty reserves the right to request references for nominations for Honorary Senior Lecturers and Honorary Lecturers. The School will be contacted if further referee details are required.
- Once Honorary Lecturer and Honorary Senior Lecturer approval is granted by Faculty, Schools add the Honorary Title holder to the QUB Additional Persons database, and issues a confirmation letter, a document outlining rights and responsibilities, and an identification card.
- The Honorary Titles Committee considers and approves Honorary Professor and Honorary Professor of Practice recommendations from Schools.
- Once Honorary Professor and Honorary Professor of Practice approval is granted, Academic Affairs adds the Honorary Title holder to the QUB Additional Persons database, and issues a confirmation letter, a document outlining rights and responsibilities, and an identification card.
The Honorary Titles Committee meets three times per academic year (normally October, February and May), and is serviced by Academic Affairs. Faculty approval will also normally take place three times per year.
The Protocol for Handling Honorary Titles Nominations outlines current practice for handling Honorary Title Nominations.
The University’s Privacy Notice in respect of Honorary Titles can be accessed here.
Further Guidance on protecting personal data in completing nomination forms and providing CVs is available.
An Honorary Title will initially be awarded for up to three years. Titles can be renewed for a further five years at a time if a significant initial and ongoing contribution to the University is documented.
- Employment Status
The award of an Honorary Title does not create an employment relationship between the title holder and the University.
Honorary Titles holders should not be given remuneration for their contribution to the University.
The University, however, recognises that within the School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences and in the School of Pharmacy title holders may be further engaged for a separate purpose by the School, to undertake activities that are over and above the contribution specified for the conferral of their Honorary Title.
The Schools should indicate, at the point of nomination, if such paid activity is likely to occur during the period of the title. Payment should never be made for the same contribution as that of the Honorary Title.
Ownership rights may vary depending on external employers’ rights, existing agreements and other factors – please contact the Intellectual Property team to establish the specific intellectual property position.
- Entitlements and Obligations
Honorary Titles holders are entitled to full library access; are eligible to register for a University email address and to use Queen’s Online; and may apply for membership of the Physical Education Centre. Honorary Titles holders are covered by the Employers’ Liability insurance policies when working on University premises.
Honorary Titles holders are normally obliged to contribute to teaching and/or research on behalf of the University, or to make a palpable and defined contribution through their professional standing.
Honorary Titles holders are issued with Terms and Conditions and are required to comply with the standard Queen’s policies and procedures when on University premises and/or carrying out work in their capacity as an Honorary Title holder.
Rescinding or Ending an Honorary Title
Procedure for Ending an Honorary Title by Agreement Before the End of Its Duration
Approval to end a current Honorary Title by agreement with the Title holder before the end of its duration should be sought from the Head of School. The Secretary to the Honorary Titles Committee should also be informed at firstname.lastname@example.org to enable the Additional Persons record to be updated and to notify International Staff where there are visa implications. Please also contact email@example.com if you are ending an Honorary Title arrangement by agreement with the Title holder if you require any further advice and guidance.
Procedure for Rescinding an Honorary Title
The need to rescind an Honorary Title happens very rarely, but it may be required where there is a conflict of interest or other matter that may bring the University into disrepute. Approval for the rescinding of a current Honorary Title before the end of its specified duration is undertaken by the Honorary Titles Committee following final endorsement of the withdrawal of the Honorary Title by Faculty after initial consideration by the Head of School/Institute/Directorate. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to withdraw an Honorary Title for further advice and guidance.