Admission to the McClay Library
The McClay Library operates a controlled entry system. Members are required to use their Queen's staff, student or library card to obtain admission.
Please remember to bring your card when you visit the Library. If you have forgotten your card, access is also possible for Queen’s staff and students using the ‘Smart Card’ feature of the Queen’s University Belfast mobile app. You can download the Application for both Android and iOS devices. Log in to the app using your Queen's username and password.
Information for researchers wishing to use Special Collections material is available on the Visiting Special Collections web page.
Non-members need to apply for access to The McClay Library via an online visitor registration form and should allow one week for their application to be processed. Students applying for vacation access need to apply using a vacation student registration form.
Further information on access for non-members is available from the following pages:
- Access for members of the public and other visitors
- Access for staff and students of other academic institutions
Safety information is displayed throughout the Libraries and it is important that you familiarise yourself with this information on arrival. If you have any particular evacuation requirements then please inform a member of staff at the Reception Desk or Borrower Services desks who will be able to advise you accordingly.
Data in the visitor registration system will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and will be only used for the purpose of providing visitor access and reporting upon visitor numbers.
- Accessing the McClay Library - a video showing a student's view of how to use the controlled entry system.
- McClay Library Access Policy - a guide to the access regulations in the Library.
- McClay Emergency Evacuation Information for Visitors - information about evacuation procedures for visitors to the Library.