US Fulbright Postgraduate Scholarships
Fulbright Postgraduate Awards provide scholarships for academic work in any graduate programme at any accredited US university.
The All Disciplines Award can be applied to any master's or doctoral degree, as well as for independent research projects.
Fulbright also offer several Awards partnered with US universities and professional or charitable bodies who are looking for Fulbrighters interested in specific academic disciplines.
United StatesWork Style
EligibilityType of Placement
6-12 months, 12+ monthsDuration - More Information
This will depend on the duration of the chosen PG course/ programmeApplication Open Date
1 Feb 2023Application Close Date
2 May 2023 (5pm BST)
To be eligible to apply for a Fulbright Award, applicants must:
- Be a UK citizen
Applications from non-UK citizens based in the UK and committed to a life and career in the UK may also be considered. You will be required to follow these steps:
- Contact the Fulbright Commission/post in your home country to check if you are eligible to apply through them. You can submit an application to us only if your home Commission/post do not accept your application due to your residency in the UK. You will need to obtain a written confirmation (e.g., an e-mail) and upload it as part of your application to the US-UK Fulbright Commission.
- In addition to your passport copy, please provide evidence of your legal status in the UK (e.g., settled/pre-settled status, Indefinite Leave to Remain). Please note that we are unable to accept applications from non-UK citizens on a student visa.
- All non-UK nationals meeting the above criteria will be expected to demonstrate commitment to returning to the UK after their proposed academic study in the US. Please note that this will be assessed at the application review stage by reading panellists.
- Dual US-UK citizens, US Green Card holders, or individuals who are resident in the US at the time of application are ineligible to apply.
- We welcome candidates from British Overseas Territories.
- Hold or expect to attain an undergraduate degree with at least a 2:1 overall undergraduate result
- We may accept applications from individuals with a 2:2 overall result in some exceptional cases. If you have obtained a 2:2, in order to be considered, you must submit a form providing an explanation as to why you did not obtain a 2:1 and why you believe you would be a competitive applicant to the Fulbright programme. We will evaluate these applications separately and on a case by case basis will determine if the application will be included in the competition.
The US-UK Fulbright programme aims to foster cultural understanding between our two countries. Preference is therefore given to applicants who do not have extensive experience (six months or longer) in the USA. Applicants with extensive US experience should explain in detail how further experience in the USA will fulfil the Fulbright mission in ways that their prior visits did not.
How to Apply
Apply via the Fulbright website (Click here)Contacts
Chat to an alumni to hear about their experiences, and to discover tips and advice for applying (Click here)
Further InformationDoes it Cost?
IIE Placement model
If you choose to apply through the IIE Placement route, you can apply for a Fulbright Award without having to choose which US university to apply to. IIE will help you find the right institution for you, providing you with a set of expertly sourced best-fit options, as well as support during the application and submission process, and help to negotiate additional funding.
The US-UK Fulbright Commission is committed to growing the numbers of applications and participants in the UK Fulbright Postgraduate programme from under-represented groups and to continuing fair access to the programme. We do this by maintaining equitable application and selection processes and providing the opportunity - for students who otherwise could not afford to participate in the programme - to apply for additional financial support through the Opportunity Fund. Those selected for a Fulbright Award on the IIE Placement track will become eligible to apply for the Opportunity Fund.