New Long Reader NG Sequencer
More Comprehensive and Accurate Variant Detection with Highly Accurate Long Reads
We (The Genomics CTU) will be receiving a new Long reader NG sequencer in February, the Pac Bio Sequell IIe, the first on the island of Ireland !!
PacBio Sequel-II offers unique capabilities for generation of long-read sequencing data from limited amounts of native DNA and RNA without PCR amplification (including single cells). While the few other long read sequencing technologies currently available in the market can generate read lengths averaging 20 kb, the PacBio Sequel II is the only one that can be used in two modes for de novo sequencing; the high-fidelity (HiFi - ideal approach for detection of genome variants, from SNPs to structural variants) or continuous long-read (CLR – method of choice for improving the contiguity of the genome assemblies). In addition, because the technology reads the native DNA, it can detect epigenetic modifications directly, unlike other systems that require additional laboratory steps and introduce bias at different levels.
These novel features of PacBio Sequel II will enable new insights into many areas of ongoing research within the Faculty and the surrounding research community, which are applicable across multiple areas of biomedicine and biosciences such as:
- De novosequencing and assembly of transcriptomes, greatly enhancing the quantification of gene expression and characterisation of RNA splicing
- Single-cell sequencing to identify novel full-length mRNAs/cell type-specific expression
- De novoassembly of reference quality phased plant and animal genomes
- Bacterial de novogenome assembly from low input libraries
- Metagenomics and metabarcoding
- Sequencing of repetitive hard to map regions/elements
- Identification of transposable elements and the effect of mutations on fitness
- Disentangling the genome architecture of complex genomes
- Identification of the genetic targets for selection
- Investigation of genome structure and evolution in model and non-model organism
- Decoding epigenomes at high accuracy and resolution
This bid complements and extends existing established (short-read focussed) infrastructure within the GCTU.
We will be hosting a webinar showcasing the sequel IIe on Feb 4th at 3PM