WHERE IS QUEEN'S?
IT'S CLOSER THAN YOU THINK
Located 13 miles (21 Kilometres) northwest of Belfast.
Getting from the airport to the City
- By Bus: The Airport Express Bus Service (Service 300) operates a regular service on weekdays and weekends. The bus leaves from the bus stop located opposite the terminal exit. More information
- By Taxi: The International Airport Taxi Company, official taxi operator for the Belfast International Airport, are available for hire 24 hours a day 7 days a week outside the right hand door of the airport Exit lobby. Only taxis approved by Belfast International Airport are permitted to use the taxi rank. A list of sample fares is displayed in the exit hall of the terminal building. A taxi share scheme to Belfast is available for those who wish to use it. For bookings, contact the Belfast International Airport Taxi Company on +44 (0)28 9448 4353. For more information and to book online visit www.belfastairporttaxis.com.
For additional travel arrangements visit the Belfast International Airport Website
Located just three miles (5 kilometres) from Belfast City Centre.
Getting from the airport to the City
- By Bus: The Airport Express Bus Service ( Service 600) operates every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday and every 40 minutes on Sunday from outside the airport to the Belfast Europa Bus Centre adjacent to the Europa Hotel, in the heart of the city. The service, Airport Express 600, operates between 5.45am and 9.25pm.
- By Train: When travelling to the airport by train, you'll want to disembark at Sydenham train station.Translink operates a rail service (0600-2300) Monday-Saturday to Central and Victoria Street Stations every 20 minutes. The service is hourly on Sundays (0900-2200). Connections are available from Central Station to the rest of the rail network in Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic. A shuttle bus service operates between the airport terminal and the rail halt at Sydenham. Please go to the information desk and ask for the service. You'll be instructed to wait by the taxi rank where the shuttle bus will collect you.
- By Taxi:Approved taxis operate from the Airport taxi rank outside the terminal building. Wheel-chair accessible taxis are available. The approximate cost of a taxi to Belfast City Centre from Belfast City Airport with our approved taxi provider is £10.00 (including £2 surcharge). All fares are subject to a £2 surcharge). For more information or to book a taxi, (028) 90 809080 or visit the Value Cabs website.
For additional travel arrangements visit the George Best Belfast City Airport Website
Fast ferry services including Stena Line and P&O Ferries make multiple daily crossings from Northern Ireland to ports in Scotland and England. The two main Belfast routes are from Liverpool and Cairnryan, both provided by Stena Line. An alternative route runs from Holyhead to Dublin, with excellent motorway connections between there and Belfast.
Queen’s is a five minute walk from Botanic Train Station on the Bangor, Larne, Newry and Derry~Londonderry lines. Coach and bus services arrive at Great Victoria Street, which is also connected by rail (or alternatively is a ten-minute walk).
The Enterprise Train service runs from Dublin to Belfast with an average of 8 trains per day with an estimated travel time of 2h09. Trains from Dublin to Belfast depart approximately every 1h40mins. A regular bus service also runs from Belfast Europa station to Dublin city and Dublin airport.
All public transport in Northern Ireland is organised by the Translink company. Visit their website for more information on fares, timetables, journey planners and online ticket bookings. Below is a list of their main services:
- NI Railways: Northern Irelands train service provider has services running from Portadown, Bangor, Larne, Derry / Londonderry, Portrush and Dublin.
- Ulsterbus: Ulsterbus is a public transport operator in Northern Ireland and operates bus services outside Belfast, including Dublin.
- Ulsterbus Goldline: Providing direct services to and from cities across Northern Ireland, including Derry / Londonderry, Coleraine, Newry and Armagh.
- Metrobus: Providing travel throughout the greater Belfast area.
If you are aged 16-23 you can avail of the ylink card which offers a 1/3 discount of all fares on both train and bus services provided by Translink.
Queen’s is located in south central Belfast and as such is close to the both Northern Ireland’s main motorways, connecting it easily with the rest of Ireland.
Travel Times to Queen's
The table below highlights the distance and approximate journey times for a number of cities and towns across the north and south of Ireland.
|Starting Point / Location||Journey Distance (Miles / Kilometres)*||Approximate Journey Time**|
|Dublin||103 / 166||1 hour 45 minutes|
|Derry / Londonderry||75 / 120||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Coleraine||57 / 91||1 hour 10 minutes|
|Newry||39 / 62||45 minutes|
|Antrim||20 / 33||30 minutes|
|Lisburn||9 / 14||20 minutes|
|Galway||230 / 370||3 hours 45 minutes|
|Enniskillen||81 / 133||1 hour 30 minutes|
* All distances are based on a central starting position within the city/town named and on your final location being the main Queen's Campus (The Lanyon Building or McClay Library)
** All Journey times are approximate and are subject to traffic/road works and other potential delays. It is advisable that you check the conditions before commencing your journey and plan alternative routes accordingly.
SAT NAV address
If you are planning on driving to Queen's and have a SAT NAV available you can use the following address:
Queen's University Belfast,
Northern Ireland, UK
Travelling to Queen's is Easier Than You Think, Charlie Rae Allen, BA (Hons) Spanish and Portuguese, England
Travelling to Belfast versus travelling to other UK uni cities, Alice, Gabbie and Maisie
What it's really like arriving in Belfast as a GB student, Alice, Gabbie and Maisie
VIDEO: My journey home from Belfast to Poland for Christmas, Sara Sokolowska-Katzer
Five Simple Travel Hacks if You're Flying to Queen's from other parts of the UK, Peter Moor, BA English and Linguistics, England
How to book the cheapest flights from Asia to Belfast, Shing Him Mak, LLB Law, Hong Kong
Travelling to Queen's from Sri Lanka, Bimsarie Neranja Jananee Weerathunge, MSc Management, Sri Lanka
A Guide to Getting Cheap Flights to Belfast, Peter Moor, BA English and Linguistics, England