Developing Digital Identity and Wellbeing
To develop your digital skills please take the opportunity to explore the range of Digital Identity and Wellbeing resources below.
Now you're familiar with the topic, these resources will help you to enhance your digital identity in your own life.
- My Digital Identity: Making a good impression online from the Open University. A presentation on how to create a positive digital identity.
- Digital Identity Stories - The University of Reading has collected testimonies from their students about their digital identities – everything from problems they’ve faced to how online identity has helped them. Read these to understand the situation more and think about your own digital identity story.
It's important to look after our Digital Wellbeing and this will be different for everyone. Read these resources to hear from other students on the topic of Digital Wellbeing.
- How to protect your mental health online from The Mix. This article contains advice specifically on looking after your mental health online but the website itself provides essential support on a range of issues for the under 25s.
- Student Minds Blog – The charity StudentMinds have a blog that contains entries written by students for students. You can read blogs on a range of topics, including social media.
You can take online courses to learn more about the subjects we’ve introduced. These contain practical advice but will help you gain a deeper theoretical understanding of Digital Identity and Wellbeing.
- Digital Footprint MOOC from The University of Edinburgh on Coursera.
- Intro to Digital Wellbeing by Google Garage.
- Digital Wellbeing by University of York on FutureLearn — Do digital technologies affect our wellbeing? Explore the concepts of health, relationships and society in the digital age.
- Building Human Connection in a Digital World with Samsung — Discover how technology can be used to reduce social isolation in our communities and enhance our human connections.
All of the above courses are free to sign up to.
If you've had enough of reading, these videos will help you delve into Digital Identity and Wellbeing further.
- What do your digital footprints say about you? TED Talk by Nicola Osborne
- The pros and cons of digital life Playlist of TED Talks
- Four reasons to care about your digital footprint by Internet Society
It's important to utilize your Digital Identity and look after your Digital Wellbeing when undertaking and promoting your research. These resources can help you do that.
- The Researcher Online: Building your online identity from Cambridge University. This includes resources to help you explore the ways in which researchers use digital and social media to enhance their professional practice.
- Digital Wellbeing – How to Have a Healthy Digital Diet from The Wellbeing Thesis. This advice on Digital Wellbeing comes from an online resource specifically for supporting Postgraduate Research students. It has been developed by University of Derby, King’s College London and Student Minds in co-creation with panels of PGR students so you can explore it for more support on wellbeing, research and learning.