Illuminate Vice-Chancellor’s Fellowship Scheme
We're looking for a mind that amazes
At Queen’s, we’re very proud of our reputation for research – and we’re even more ambitious for its future. Illuminate: The Vice-Chancellor's Fellowships are being offered to researchers across all Faculties. Join us and you will get access to the support and facilities you need to achieve your career ambitions.
Thank you for considering applying to Illuminate: The Vice-Chancellor's Fellowship Scheme at Queen’s University Belfast.
Queen’s is an exciting place. A place that delivers both local and international impact. Queen’s University is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of UK research intensive universities, combining excellence in research and education with a student-centred ethos.
Queen’s is based in Belfast, a modern capital city known for its welcome and accessibility and as being a great place to live and work. The city is outward-focussed and has recently secured a City Deal which will create up to 20,000 jobs and deliver a 10-year programme of inclusive economic growth across the region. We are immensely proud of what our city and our university can offer.
As a Fellow at Queen’s, you will be part of a world-class international university built on teaching excellence, leading-edge research, innovation, collaboration and engagement, and will play a key role in shaping our future priorities.
With a career pathway to a permanent Senior Lecturer/Reader post, you will benefit from membership of the Fellowship Academy to support your development and progression.
We look forward to welcoming candidates and seeing you become the next generation of world-class researchers at Queen’s.
About Illuminate: The Vice-Chancellor’s Fellowship Scheme
Queen's wants to recruit, develop and nurture outstanding researchers who will deliver world-leading research and become our research leaders of the future.
The key components of the Fellowship Scheme is as follows:
- The Fellows will be in the early-stages of their career with research interests that align to current research strengths at Queen’s.
- This is a 5-year scheme with a pathway to a Senior Lecturer/Reader post at the end of the Fellowship, and Fellows can expect to be made permanent by the end of year 3, subject to meeting relevant criteria.
- All Fellows will become members of the ‘Fellowship Academy’, a comprehensive and bespoke development service that will include access to a Fellows Network, Mentorship Programme and a range of professional learning and development opportunities.
- Teaching and administrative duties will be reduced to allow the Fellows to focus on their research.
- This open and inclusive opportunity invites applications from candidates with diverse career paths and backgrounds, including those returning from a career break, family leave or working outside a research environment.
Successful Fellows will have access to:
- A generous ‘Fellowship Enhancement Award’ from £20,000-£50,000 and funding to recruit a full-time PhD student within the first two years of appointment.
- A career pathway to a permanent Senior Lecturer/Reader post at the end of the Fellowship.
- Membership of the ‘Fellowship Academy’, a comprehensive and bespoke development scheme that will include access to a Fellows Network, Mentorship Programme and a range of professional learning and development opportunities delivered via workshop sessions, online learning and peer coaching groups. Fellows will have access to development support in skills such as: enhancing research applications, writing for publication and research leadership. Support will be provided for Fellows to review and plan their personal and career development activities.
- Reduced teaching and administrative duties to enable you to dedicate your time to research.
- A vibrant campus in the heart of Belfast City with award winning libraries and cutting edge facilities. Explore our campus.
- Excellent relocation expenses in line with Queen's Relocation Policy.
- Many other great benefits offered to all Queen’s staff here.
- A completed PhD in a relevant subject
- Normally 2 - 8 years’ post-PhD experience
- A high quality publication record
- A research profile and plan which is aligned to an existing research strength at Queen’s
- How to Apply
To apply you will be required to submit a CV and covering letter which clearly states your research interests and the proposed work during the Fellowship. We also welcome a description of how you fit within the School, and what contribution you would make to the research environment.
“Applications will reopen in due course however due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, the dates are yet to be confirmed”.
For any queries regarding the process please contact Roisin Moss.
For specific application queries please see the contact within each Faculty below.
The Faculties of Engineering and Physical Sciences and Medicine, Health and Life Sciences are seeking applications from candidates whose research profile is aligned to current areas of research strength at Queen's. The Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences is particularly interested in hearing from candidates who have a research focus in the following areas: Creative Industries, Policy Engaged Research and Internationalisation of research. Find out more about the Faculties and their research priorities from the links below.
The Scheme is an inclusive one and applications are welcomed and encouraged from candidates with diverse career paths and backgrounds, including those returning from a career break, family leave or working outside a research environment.
- Meet Our Research Experts
Our academics are tackling some of the greatest global issues of our age. They are shaping the world around us through innovative and collaborative research across the globe. Meet some of our research experts here.