The University has arrangements in place to safeguard children and vulnerable adults. These arrangements are overseen by the Children and Adults at Risk(CaAR) Review Group. The current Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy was approved in 2015 and was circulated on 23 September 2015. Each Faculty, School and Directorate is required to comply with the relevant safeguarding measures set out in the policy and accompanying guidance. Students, employees and the extended workforce engaging in activity with children or vulnerable adults, for or on behalf of the University, fall within scope of the policy. The policy sets out the University’s arrangements in relation to:
- the requirement for declarations and disclosures
- processing criminal history checks and complying with AccessNI's Code of Practice
- additional compliance and safeguarding measures e.g. the Code of Conduct and Good Practice, Safeguarding Risk Assessments etc.
- dealing with allegations of abuse, relevant conduct and harm
- referrals to the Disclosure and Barring Service
Faculty, School and Directorate Safeguarding Responsibilities
- a 'Responsible Person' must be nominated to ensure relevant safeguarding measures are put in place and the policy is complied with
- appropriate counter signatories must be registered with AccessNI
- all questions and concerns regarding policy compliance and identifying regulated activity must be raised with the Legal Services Unit
- all allegations of abuse, relevant conduct and harm to be raised as set out within the policy
The Legal Services Unit monitors legislative developments and recommends policy revisions to the CaAR Review Group. The Unit also delivers policy briefing sessions and other training, provides advice and guidance, communicates updates/changes to relevant staff and conducts compliance audits.
Please contact the Legal Services Unit (firstname.lastname@example.org or x5002) if you require any assistance with implementing the policy or have any other questions or concerns regarding the University's safeguarding arrangements.