The Data Protection Act 2018 and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
We need to process data about you that relates to enquiries about our courses and programmes, and your application(s) to us. Such processing will be in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, GDPR, and our Data Protection Policy, available at http://go.qub.ac.uk/dataprotectionpol.
The processing of some data is required so that we can fulfil our obligations to third parties such as the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).
Where applications are made through an application service or agency (rather than direct to us) your data will be held by the service and will be transferred to us. Such services include the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
The data is required in order for us to:
- Fulfil our obligations to you under the Undergraduate Admissions Policy September 2023 Entry, the Postgraduate Admissions Policy September 2023 Entry and, (if applicable), your student contract;
- Carry out our official functions as a Higher Education institution;
- Comply with our legal obligations;
- Pursue our legitimate interests (these will relate to the efficient, lawful and proportionate delivery of services and will not be to the detriment of the interests or rights of individuals);
- Protect your vital interests, where necessary.
The processing of some data may be undertaken on our behalf by third party organisations contracted for that purpose, such as mailing houses.
We will also process your personal information in other circumstances, provided you have given your consent for us to do so.
We will protect the information that we process and the standard response to enquiries about individuals is that data cannot be disclosed to other organisations or individuals without consent, except to:
- Staff of Queen’s University, Belfast who need the information for administrative, marketing and recruitment or quality assurance purposes;
- Other Higher Education Institutions or government agencies for the verification of your personal data held by us; and
- HESA and other related organisations for statistical and reporting purposes.
- The representative you nominated to act on your behalf, when completing your UCAS application (if applicable)
Full details of what personal information we process, why we process it, who we share it with and your rights in respect of your personal information are provided in the Student Privacy Notice. This is accessible via the link below:
Last Updated: March 2023