This is an online service which does not require any additional software to be installed on your PC. It contains a database of 45 billion + websites, online articles (including archived material) and student work against which draft and/or final student assignments may be compared. Similarities are matched and academic judgement must then be used to interpret whether the matches in the similarity report are appropriate (properly quoted and cited, or an established term) or inappropriate (inadequately paraphased not adequately cited).
What can TurnitinUK do?
- Matches a student’s text with:
- Current websites.
- Archived websites.
- Content from publishers with whom it has partnership agreements.
- Other student content which has been submitted to the TurnitinUK database (95% colleges and universities in the UK subscribe to this service).
- Saves time.
- Acts as a deterrent against plagiarism.
- Can be used as an educational tool to illustrate to students any inadequacies in their approach to paraphasing and citing.
What can TurnitinUK not do?
- Will not match a student’s text with:
- Material which is not available online (eg most textbooks).
- Online books and journals to which it does not have an access agreement.
- Student content which has been submitted to databases from detection software other than TurnitinUK.
- ‘Original’ essays purchased from essay banks/auction sites etc.
- Make a judgement as to whether plagiarism has taken place.
The Centre for Educational Development provides training and advice in the following areas:
- Providing staff with a Turnitin account and instructions for getting started with the Turnitin software.
- Central point of contact for receiving information from, giving feedback to and reporting problems to iParadigms - the Turnitin software providers.
STAFF REGISTRATION FOR TURNITIN
Staff who wish to register with the TurnitinUK service please contact Centre for Educational Development on extension 1447 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, in order to receive a user link and step by step set up instructions.
ADVICE TO SCHOOLS /INDIVIDUALS
- Advice on how to use the software to help educate students about plagiarism/originality.
- Consultancy on how to systematically and equitably use the service to check originality without infringing student rights.
Face-to-face workshops for Staff on Using the Turnitin Originality Checking Software are available. View details and dates of the workshops during 2017/18
PGR RESOURCES FOR POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH SUPERVISORS
Video Tutorials for:
Creating an Opportunity to submit a near final chapter draft (which will not be compared with the early draft)
UG/PGT RESOURCES FOR STAFF
Turnitin UG and PGT Student Presentation Turnitin ppt for use with UG and PGT students 16-17 originality check only (zip file)
VIDEO TUTORIALS FOR POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH STUDENTS
TUTORIALS FOR UNDERGRADUATE AND POSTGRADUATE TAUGHT STUDENTS
Guide for completing your Turnitin Account Setup - for first time users who have been enrolled by their School
Video: Enrolling in the Turnitin Service for the first time with class ID and password - Provided for where the School has not updated to the new practice of enrolling students
Video: Enrolling in a class - Provided for where the School has not updated to the new practice of enrolling students directly
Video: Uploading an assignment